Life > Academics

The Final Stretch: my guide to staying motivated and Finishing the semester strong!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As finals season approaches faster than ever, I can personally speculate that it’s going to hit much harder than any other finals season before, especially because I spent the last seven weeks being a full-time sorority girl. I’ve been to every class and every mixer, and I am sad to report that I remember nothing from any of those! 

All things aside, though, it is crucial to stay motivated and push through this last chunk of the semester to finish strong. Unfortunately, it also is the hardest to stay motivated when the weather is warm out, and all you need to do is lay in the grass and frolic in the sun for hours on end. Here are some of my best tips for staying motivated and maintaining an ideal balance between academics and extracurriculars as we get through the last stretch of the semester. 

My first tip would be to skip pulling any all-nighters. Not only are they counterproductive, but also you’ll end up feeling tired and unproductive the next day too. Moreover, it is scientifically researched and proven that sleep is an important factor in long-term information retention, and getting at least eight hours every night during exam season is the bare minimum. That being said, sleeping all day is also not good for productivity, and making sure you get some fresh air and sunlight every day is so important. There are so many good study spots on campus, and leaving your dorm can really force you to get in the mindset of getting work done.

Another essential formula to crushing those finals is taking care of yourself. Not just physically but also mentally – eating well and consistently, going on a walk or hitting the gym whenever you can spare 30 minutes, taking a break, and pacing yourself, are all important checkmarks in doing well overall. You attract what you project, and feeling your best will enable you to do your best too. 

Lastly, learning your learning type is so important. It takes some trial and error, but figuring out how you learn the most efficiently and what strategies work best goes a long way!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Ashna Jain

U Mass Amherst '26

Ashna is a sophomore Economics and Mathematics double major at Umass Amherst. In her free time, you can find her watching Gilmore Girls, hanging out with her friends or taking a spin class! She is also a peer advisor for the department of Economics and a member of Tri Sigma National Sorority.