Life > Experiences

The Best Compliments Are Received From Strangers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

A genuine compliment from anyone can make someone’s day, but sometimes hearing words of affirmation from a stranger can be especially impactful. I asked my friends, family, and peers to tell me the best compliment they have received from a stranger, and why it was so memorable to them: hopefully reading them will brighten your day too.

“I was told my hair looked pretty, which was nice to hear since I thought I was having a bad hair day that day.”

“Someone told me I was very personable after only one conversation, I was conscious of being shy my entire life so this meant a lot.”

“After just meeting my friend’s younger sister, she told me she could tell I was really intelligent and driven, this was during a stressful time in the year when I was constantly working on something and it was nice to know that someone noticed.”

“At work, when I was helping someone find something, I was told ‘I appreciate you listening to me, I can tell you really care about other people.’ This was nice to hear since I am always trying my best to listen to people and make their day a little bit easier.”

Taking time to say something nice about someone not only makes the person feel noticed, but it can also make you a more positive person. After I hear a compliment from a stranger, I am reminded of how nice it can be to hear positive words from random people. It also always encourages me to spread the love — it is sort of like those drive-through lines where the first car pays for the car behind them’s meal, and it continues down the line.

People in Massachusetts, and more specifically in Boston, are often known for being tough, fast-paced, and blunt, so walking down the street people don’t usually stop to talk to random people. Being stopped on the street for even a small positive interaction can make anyone listening feel more welcome and happy that day. Even a simple compliment like “your hair looks pretty”, doesn’t go unnoticed.

After hearing the genuine compliments my peers received from strangers, I am going to go out of my way to compliment strangers more frequently because I know how much it can improve someone’s day.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Lily Krivopal

U Mass Amherst '24

Lily is a senior management and Spanish double major who is passionate about community service. You can always find her in the pool or outside running, hiking, or reading in a hammock.