Riley Keough and Sam Claflin in Daisy Jones and the Six
Lacey Terrell/Prime Video

Daisy Jones & The Six: Taylor Jenkins Reid’s Ode to the ’70s

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Sex, drugs, and music — what more could you ask for in the latest Taylor Jenkins Reid novel?

In all seriousness, Daisy Jones & The Six was my first TJR read, and it is safe to say that I am obsessed with the captivating imagery of this drug-infested ’70s rock band.

Written in a rather unconventional format, Reid navigates the life of Daisy Jones and her bandmates through a transcript of interviews and storytelling. Without hashing out any spoilers, the narrator is a journalist who attempts to piece together the story of Daisy Jones and her six bandmates, coining the name “Daisy Jones & The Six.” It delves into the band’s rise and eventual fall, and the secrets that were kept under wraps.

Riley Keough in Daisy Jones and the Six
Lacey Terrell/Prime Video

Reid does an incredible job of atmospherically setting the scene for a ’70s rock band. Although I was not alive to experience the rock concerts, infamous after parties, or grooves of this decade, Reid’s writing literally teleports you into the midst of it all. Emotions are constantly flowing, allowing the reader to become fully immersed in the adrenaline-filled and slightly-terrifying experience of the band’s rise to fame.

I took a particular liking to the novel’s keyboardist, Karen, in part due to her well developed personality, but better yet because of her dedication to live life on her own terms without any of her male bandmates. She is a rather unconventional woman who takes absolutely no BS from a man and is constantly breaking gender roles. Karen exhibits the true power of womanhood and femininity and is truly one of the original girl-bosses of the ’70s.

However, if it doesn’t go without saying, virtually all of the characters are just as developed as Karen and offer wisdom, trust, and humor that had me questioning if they were real or not.

Fortunately enough, they are (kind of) real and loosely based on the lives of the British-American rock band Fleetwood Mac!

As a Fleetwood Mac lover, I was elated to learn that Taylor Jenkins Reid was loosely inspired by the romance between Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham when writing her novel and based the characters Daisy and Billy around their relationship or lack thereof. Interviews explain that she not only loved their music, but the wounds that were seemingly licked clean as they performed.

Of course, take that with a grain of salt!

Lacey Terrell / Prime Video

On an even more exciting note, Reid’s characters recently hit the big screen and came to life!

Released just last year, TJR teamed up with Amazon Prime Video to bring Daisy Jones & The Six right to your TV! With a series of 10 episodes, readers can become immersed in Reid’s novel in a whole different realm. Experiencing the characters and the beauty of their songs is now be a real experience, and I’m so here for it.

Using songs that Taylor Jenkins Reid wrote and included at the end of her book, actors literally went to band camp to prepare for their roles.They all authentically embody Reid’s characters and, spoiler alert, their renditions of the songs did not disappoint. My favorites include: “Look At Us Now,” “Let Me Down Easy,” and “Aurora.”

The band even has their own account on Spotify with over 1.3 million listeners! Give them a listen — they’re addictive!

Daisy Jones & The Six was truly the most powerful piece of literature I have read — so many emotions will take over you, and it is a magical experience to say the least. If I can give you one piece of advice, read the first chapter, I guarantee you’ll be hooked!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Victoria Hoerauf

U Mass Amherst '26

Victoria is a sophomore at UMass Amherst majoring in Art Education and Psychology. She is an avid runner, artist, and reader who is always looking for new book recommendations!