andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Study Abroad Diary: The Beginning (London) Vol. 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Study Abroad – The Beginning Experience:

For the past two weeks, I’ve been in the lovely city of London, England. I always knew I was going to have the time of my life, but my greatest fear was that I wouldn’t find friends like my UMass friends. We joke that we’re all bonded because we’re sh*theads together, but really it’s something more than that. We’re a family and always have been. If you’ve read my other articles, you’re probably sick of hearing that. But I am forever grateful that I have them in my life.

Sex and the City sums it up best: Today I had a thought, what if I had never met you? That quote has been on my mind a lot since I got here. It’s funny how things just seem to work. Because I got a group of friends that feel like my friendships at home, all because of where I was placed to live.

Bede, my dorm, is a Southwest-style hallway. Kids are always bouncing in and out of their rooms, and if you’re ever bored you can always count on the kitchen having someone in it. There was a group of girls that were more than welcoming and boys that are always around to just chill, no matter what we’re doing. My friend Mumbles (nickname given because I can NEVER understand the kid) is actually sitting here watching me multitask between writing this and doing my makeup as I type.

(This is Mumbles)

Fridays are saved for theme parties called BOP, which may be one of my favorite parts of this place. Their pregames (or predrinks as they say) are a lot like ours. Though not as many drinking games, when I get back to the states I’m demanding a beer pong tournament. While there are many things here that are nothing like UMass, the energy going around on Fridays is exactly the same. And the fact that everyone seems to count down the days until Friday arrives. That’s just like UMass too.

It’s a scary thought, thinking how different things could be. What if I hadn’t been placed in this hall, what if I had never transferred to UMass? What if I hadn’t gone abroad (which was the plan for a long time)? What if I had never met these people who have had such an impact in my life?

While I’m having a ball abroad, I’ll never forget how I got here. How things that I thought were going to ruin my life were really just roadblocks to get me here. And while I love my friends at UMass, I’m excited to see where all the friendships I’ve made in London will get me. I’ll keep you updated!

Katie Lynch

U Mass Amherst

A Communications and Journalism Major at UMass Amherst
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst