Spring Break Ideas that Don’t Break the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Ah, spring break. The time of year where you get to run away from reality quickly and then have to jump back into tests and projects after only a short week. Although this break is much needed, it comes at a time in our lives where we can’t do much. Everyone wants to go someplace warm and sit on the beach with a margarita. Unfortunately, the flight alone to most warm and sunny areas already breaks the bank. No one wants to sit at home during their week off, but no one wants to empty their bank account either. Your friends are either abroad in cool place like Australia or have trip planned to Miami. You can still have fun filled week and maybe still go somewhere warm without going bankrupt.

1. Weekend ski trip

You might dream of laying on sandy beaches getting sun kissed, but in reality, New England is way better for skiing. March will be towards of the end of the season, so you might get discounted tickets and the slopes won’t be crazy packed. Spring break is a good opportunity to be on a mountain in the middle of nowhere with no obligations whatsoever.

2. Netflix, Netflix & more Netflix

Need I say more? This is the one time you can watch 7 hours of Netflix and feel no guilt at all. There will be no classes or homework waiting for you on the other side of the binge, and you can easily crank out a season of your newest Netflix love. Sitting in your bed, in your room, with no care in the world, is beautiful. You will never regret getting to de-stress with your favorite show and snacks nearby. Plus, it’s also free, or you’re already paying for it, so your wallet will thank you as well.

3. Day trip to the city

A day trip to the city is always an easy getaway. Between museums, tasty restaurants, and beautiful parks, you will always have an enjoyable day. It is a close escape from your hometown.

4. Visit a friend at their college

Not everyone’s spring break is the same week, so your friends might be at school. If your friend (and their roommate) love you enough, they might let you come visit them. If you’re lucky enough, you might have a friend that goes to college someplace warm. 

5. Go on a budget trip!

You can find some places that aren’t too expensive. Try checking Expedia where you can find discounts on flight/hotel combinations. If you’re looking for somewhere warm, check out Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. It has everything from beaches to shopping to a carnival. It isn’t as pricey as other places because it isn’t 80 degrees. But 70 degrees still sounds a lot better than 30. If you don’t mind the cold and just want to get out of town, Canada is always a great option. It’s within reasonable road trip distance and the legal drinking age doesn’t hurt.

6. Work and save up

The ultimate broke college student spring break is working the week away. Don’t overlook this option. While your friends are off blowing every dollar to their name, you’re adding to your bank account. While it might not be the most exciting activity during your week off, future you will thank you for making all that money so you can go do fun things during the semester. 

Whatever it is you end up doing this spring break, make the best of it! You only get one week off and then you have another seven weeks until summer, so enjoy the stress free life while it lasts!

Photos: 1234567

An accounting major at the Univeristy of Massachusetts Amherst, Isenberg School of Management who loves mac n' cheese, dancing, and making people smile.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst