Life > Experiences

Spring Break Highs and Post Break Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

There’s a lot of pressure around spring break. Especially as COVID seniors with everyone feeling like we missed out on two years of our college experience. I know a lot of people shared the weight of societal expectations around having wild spring break stories this year. Having a crazy spring break is socialized as the norm or the goal, but this just isn’t feasible for everyone, and that’s okay.

I didn’t have a lot of set plans this week. A bunch of us talked about ideas of adventures that were ultimately left untaken. I was definitely feeling the FOMO. But, I was reminded that there are ways to have fun without going on some elaborate trip. There are ways to perform self care and relax while still making epic memories no matter what you end up doing. Staycations and vacations alike, the most important thing is not the big plans and social media posts, but making sure that whatever you do, you are giving yourself the break and mental rest that you deserve! 

Despite my lack of plans, I surprisingly had one of the best weeks of my year and it left me feeling blissful. I have memories I am grateful for and moments I will never forget. It allowed me to completely reset without having to go crazy, spend a ton of money, or even travel to somewhere exotic. I had the best few days back home and I’m super blessed I got to spend it with amazing people. 

However, coming back from spring break had me wishing I had more time to enjoy that fleeting but amazing week I’m sure we all had. That week, for me, had been a dream and I was coming down from a high and having withdrawals. With impending assignments I had purposefully ignored, and social media booming with reminiscent memories of the craziest week of the year, all I could think about was being back in that week. Someone invent time travel! I was aching for more blissful ignorance and memorable experiences. With all of these external pressures after a week of much needed relaxation, it’s no wonder that we feel so overwhelmed when spring break ends.

I was reminded to be grateful. I indulged in the things that make me happy and I realized that the small acts of self care and kindness can go a long way. I didn’t need to have extraordinary plans to make incredible memories.

I was reminded that it’s okay to feel unmotivated. It’s hard to jump right back into the swing of things when you’re still on vacation mode. Take things a day at a time, and find ways to stay organized. Make lists, go outside, prioritize breaks and hold on to the feeling of relaxation you felt over break. We have a month left and we are going to finish the semester strong!

I was left disappointed due to unfulfilled expectations in the earlier days before spring break and trying to create a plan for every goal I had stressed me out more than it should have. This week reminded me that sometimes, the most unplanned and unexpected events turn out to be some of the best moments of your life. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Myna Chadalavada

U Mass Amherst '22

Myna is a senior neuroscience and biochemistry double major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is passionate about her research in emotion regulation and wants to find a way to use her words to change a life. You can find her in the greenhouse, on a rooftop garden writing poetry, the 23rd floor of the library with a book in her hand, or a room with a piano.