Molly Peach-Girls Laughing At Night
Molly Peach-Girls Laughing At Night
Molly Peach / Her Campus

Some People Get a Tolerable Roommate, I Got a Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

On move-in day, I found myself trying to explore a campus that I had previously only visited once. I remember unloading my car with my dad and trying to navigate my dorm, all while trying to deal with the fact that I would be eight hours from home. After finding my room and meeting my suitemates for the first time in person, I remember feeling so nervous while I waited for my roommate to arrive. I knew her already from an RSO we were both in during the virtual year before, but I was much closer to one of my suitemates as a result of that organization than I was to my own roommate. And that made me really nervous.

I have never been good at meeting people, but moving to a new state for the school year and starting my second year of college in the midst of a pandemic was definitely not helping. When I finally did meet my roommate, the nerves I had expanded tenfold. She seemed like a nice person, but I wasn’t sure exactly how close we would be. I had it in my head that roommates were either best friends or completely hated each other, and I for sure did not want to have a roommate that I hated spending time with. 

Flash forward to April when my roommate is one of my closest friends on campus. I don’t exactly know how that came to be, but I am very happy about it nonetheless. I know very few people that hear me quoting John Mulaney under my breath and then proceed to continue the joke along with me. I know very few people who will sit up until 2 or 3 in the morning with me to discuss a seemingly random topic. And I know very few people who encourage me in a comfortable way to try new things. 

I consider myself very lucky to have her as my roommate. I have heard nightmarish stories about roommates gone wrong, but I haven’t had to deal with anything like that (at least not yet). I think she is super special and wickedly awesome. She is so passionate about so many things, and every time I hear about what she is up to, I can’t help but be in awe of how incredible one person can be. 

I love my roommate because I genuinely think she makes me a better person. I don’t spend all of my time with her, and it is actually rare for us to be in the room at the same time, but I am so happy that I know her, and I can’t wait to see how next year turns out. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Lucie Daignault

U Mass Amherst '23

Lucie is a fifth-semester member at HerCampus and a senior psychology major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Outside of HerCampus, Lucie is the vice president of the criminology club, a small group leader with CHAARG, and a volunteer with MASSPIRG. She loves writing and is excited to share her ideas and learn from her peers!