This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

#thatmomentwhen you are starving between classes and need something fast.

For many people, the quick snacks in between meals are the diet killers–this is because the easiest snacks are almost never the healthiest snacks. Therefore, much to our dismay, chaotic life of the college student is not exactly amicable with the whole eating-right thing. We study all night, wake up late, go to class all day and then start over again the next day. As a result, when we finally have a moment of free time, the last thing on our mind is cooking up some kale chips, snacking on an apple or reaching for carrots and broccoli to satisfy our need to indulge; After a crazy day, all we want is a warm brownie, a bag of chips or… An ice cold beer.

My point? These indulgent foods are amazing, but unhealthy. If we make smart, healthy choices throughout the day, we are less likely to fall victim to these indulgences.

How can you fight the urge? Well, UMass, we do have healthy options! Have you ever been to People’s Market?!

There are not a lot of places to eat on campus that are ‘healthy.’ Sure there are healthy options at all of your favorite, quick stops, but what are the chances you’ll choose the apple over the french fries when that greasy basket is starring right at you? Maybe you have more self-control than I do, but if not, People’s Market is for you. This student-run shop, located in the Student Union, provides the UMass community with an alternative eating place. They offer natural and fresh foods that are easy to grab on the go, all of which are priced fairly.

“People’s Market was founded by two 19-year-old students, Ellen Gavin and Gail Sullivan, with the goal of creating a non-profit, community-owned grocery store to provide UMass students with healthy and affordable food,” their website explains. People’s Market opened first opened February 12th, 1973 as a result of rising concerns over rising education costs, control over student space, and an increasing corporate presence on campus. The market is now in its 38th year of operation and is still motivated to educate and inform the community about nutritional, political, and social issues in the realm of the food industry.

My favorite People’s Market treats include their coffee, delicious hummus and convenient snack packs. This week I took my fifteen- ,impute break between classes as an opportunity to grab a pre-packaged snack containing crackers, grapes and cheese squares. This was exactly what I needed for a mid-afternoon boost. What’s even better, is that this snack was filling and more than satisfying.

Stop by People’s Market next time you are hungry between classes. You’ll be hooked.

HOURS
Monday/Friday: 8:45 AM-4 PM
Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday: 8:45 AM-5 PM