The Smart Collegiette’s Guide to Healthy Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Managing our hair can be a bit of a production sometimes: brushing, straightening, dying, curling, blow-drying – our hair goes through a lot! But whether you prefer long or short, straight or curly, we can all agree that what we want most is healthy hair. If your hair is damaged or lacks that luster you crave, read these tips on how to start improving your hair’s condition.

Let your hair dry naturally. When our hair is wet or damp, it’s in an extremely vulnerable state. Rubbing your hair dry with a towel can cause breakage and should be avoided. If necessary, you can blot your hair with a towel instead. It’s best to let your hair air-dry; if you decide to blow-dry it, use a heat protection spray or keep it on the non-damaging cool mode.

Brush your hair with care. Avoid brushing your hair while it’s wet! Wet hair is stretchier and is more susceptible to “snapping,” which leads to split ends and damaged hair. If your hair tends to get tangled or knotted easily, it is okay to gently detangle when in the shower. Make sure to use a wide-toothed comb, and only if your hair is saturated with conditioner.

When washing your hair, avoid using hot water. Hot showers are wonderful – just not for your hair. Use a shower cap or put your hair into a ponytail where the water can’t reach it until it’s time to wash your hair. Use cool water when washing and rinsing your hair.
Cold water closes up the hair cuticles, which locks in moisture. This is my favorite trick for shiny hair!

Unless your hair gets greasy easily, avoid shampooing your hair everyday. If it can’t be avoided, use a mild shampoo (I recommend baby shampoo). I know it may seem counterproductive but if you use strong oil-reducing cleansers, you will strip your hair of its essential oils, which will result in your hair producing even more oil to compensate for the loss. Keep it basic and gentle!

Don’t forget to condition your hair. It’s easy to skip this step, but if you really want healthy hair, commit to this routine. Before you shower, gently comb hair to break up product buildup, oil, and dirt. This will help the gunk quickly rinse out, leaving clean hair for your conditioner to soak in. Squeeze out excess water before applying conditioner. If your hair is saturated with water, it can’t soak up anything else!

A healthy diet can lead to healthy hair. Essential fatty acids, like omega-3’s, play a vital role in skin, hair, and nails. Incorporate food rich in omega-3 fatty acids into your diet like salmon, tuna, walnuts, or almonds. Protein is also critical for healthy hair. Lean meat like chicken, eggs, and soy products are good supplies of protein; try eating one serving every day. If you find it hard to fit everything into your diet, consider taking a daily multivitamin

If you have long and unhealthy hair, you need to cut it. I know a lot of us find comfort in our long hair, but if it’s damaged, you need to get a haircut. Trimming the split ends will lead to healthier hair and don’t worry; it will grow back before you know it!

Maintaining healthy hair is a long process and there is no miracle cure. Consistency is key and your hair will respond to the positive changes. Bottom line: If you treat your hair right, it will return the favor!

Julie Tran

U Mass Amherst

Julie Tran is a current senior majoring in Psychology at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst and Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus UMass Amherst chapter. She is a Boston native and has lived in the town of Brighton for the majority of her life.Julie works part-time as an administrative assistant at the Student Legal Services Office on campus. She is also the Co-Founder and Vice-President of Ed2010 at UMass Amherst and a certified Rape Crisis Counselor. Julie doesn't have any solid plans for the future yet but wants to pursue a career in marketing. Her life goal is to travel the world, live in New York City at some point, and have her own business.