Style > Beauty

This Skincare Brand at Sephora Has Amazing Products – and They’re All $15 or Less

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

An affordable skincare brand at Sephora? I had always seen Sephora as just a carrier for brands with heavily priced products. However, there’s one skincare brand that boasts several good-for-you ingredients at a low cost, and it’s the “Inkey List”. With everything $15 and under, the “Inkey List” should, well, be added to your list. The brand has a very minimalist design, emphasizing smart ingredients such as rosehip oil, hyaluronic acid, retinol- you know the deal. And if you don’t know much about skincare, this brand is a great place to start. Based in the U.K, there are several products created to tackle certain skin concerns, whether it be dryness, break outs, or firming texture. As mentioned previously, this brand can be a great foundation for people who don’t know much, or for skincare fanatics with a deeper understanding about what ingredients they should be using- there’s certain products like polyglutamic acid and heptapeptide, which are deemed “innovation” formulas because there’s nothing quite like them on the market. Not to mention, the brand is clean certified at Sephora, which means that there’s no irritating ingredients in their line, so for anyone with sensitive skin, you don’t have to worry.

All products are available on the Sephora website, as well as some are in stores. Here are a few to get you started…

For Hydration:

Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Serum ($7.99) 

What it does: According to Sephora, it’s an “ultimate hydrating must-have with two percent hyaluronic acid to hydrate the skin, leaving it smoother and plumper.” The product is a lightweight liquid, suitable for all skin types. HA is great to use for dryness, and right now when the weather is still cold, it’s a great staple to add in your skincare routine. This product can be used in the morning or at night, but either time of day is fine.

Rosehip Nourishing Night Oil ($10.99)

What it does: This product is a 100% cold pressed facial oil with antioxidant properties that target dry skin and improve the skin’s tone and texture. The omega-6 fatty acids nourish the skin, and rosehip is a great way to promote softer skin. It’s advised to use this product at night, after your serums so that it can serve as an overnight nourishment boost. The product is vegan and cruelty-free, along with the rest of the line.

Polyglutamic Acid Hydrating Serum ($15)

What it does: As described on the Sephora website, this product is a “powerful surface hydrator that smooths and plumps the skin and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.” This can also be used before makeup as a solid base so that application is smoother. Another lightweight serum like hyaluronic acid, this product holds four times more moisture than the acid.

For breakout prone skin:

Salicylic Acid Cleanser ($9.99)

What it does: A popular ingredient in clearing breakouts, this cleanser is stated by the brand as a product that “removes makeup and dirt, helping to reduce blackheads, acne, and blemishes while unclogging pores.” This is a foaming cleanser, so the only recommendation with this is if you have dry skin, do not use this cleanser. The foaming nature will only dry out your skin even more. Salicylic Acid though works to gently exfoliate and is accompanied by zinc, which has anti-inflammatory properties.

Niacinamide Oil Control Serum ($6.99)

What it does: This serum is perfect for oily skin to reduce blemishes, redness, and hyperpigmentation. It’s lightweight so it won’t feel too heavy on the skin, with a 10% concentration of the ingredient. There is also “multi molecular hyaluronic acid” to help hydrate the skin and act as a binding agent. This is safe to use not only at night, but in the morning as well.

Beta Hydroxy Acid (BHA) Blemish + Blackhead Serum ($10.99)

What it does: This is a lightweight serum that works to exfoliate beneath the surface of the skin to help unclog pores, reduce excess oil, and target blackheads. It’s suitable for all skin types and is great especially for sensitive skin since exfoliation can irritate this skin type at times if too harsh. BHA contains anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that can help calm breakout prone skin. This product is best suited for night-time use.

Besides providing products for hydration and combating breakouts, there are a number of options for exfoliation. Exfoliation helps with cell turnover and removing dead skin, which allows for your other products to be absorbed better by the skin. They all come in liquid form, which is great for people who don’t want to run the risk of skin irritation that can result from more abrasive, physical exfoliators.

If you want exfoliating toners:

Glycolic Acid Exfoliating Toner ($10.99)

What it is: As described on Sephora, this product is a “10 percent glycolic acid exfoliating toner that helps to reduce the appearance of pores and fine lines for smoother, brighter skin.” Derived from sugar cane, the toner works to slough away dead skin on the surface which improves the overall look of skin brightness and texture. It’s suitable for all skin types, but is best for oiler skin types and more visible skin concerns. It’s best advised to use at night.

Polyhydroxy Acid (PHA) Gentle Exfoliating Toner ($10.99)

What it does: It’s a gentle exfoliant best suited for sensitive skin that works to remove dead skin cells for a smoother complexion. The toner contains a concentration of 3% polyhydroxy acid which helps to exfoliate, along with niacinamide and aloe.

If you want exfoliating serums:

Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA) Serum ($10.99)

What it does: This is a gentle exfoliator that is made to improve skin texture and tone. It’s best for normal skin, and contains 10% fruit acid and 1% hyaluronic acid. If you’re new to exfoliating acids, then this serum is a great way to start. It’s best advised to start using the serum every few days so that your skin adjusts to the product, as well as using it at night since sun sensitivity increases.

Lactic Acid Serum ($12.99)

What it does: Another gentle exfoliator that is designed to help skin appear brighter and more even, as well as hydrate with added hyaluronic acid. This serum is best for dryer, more sensitive skin.

With all of these exfoliators, it’s important to follow up with SPF if used in the morning. But, to be fair, SPF should be applied every day. But that’s for another article.

Olivia Capriotti

U Mass Amherst '23

A sophomore at UMass Amherst, Olivia is double majoring in Journalism and Spanish (with a concentration in Public Relations). With her last name starting with 'C' there are three things she can't live without- challah, chamomile tea, and Charlotte Bronte. When she's not drinking tea, you can find her perusing through designs on RedBubble, watching movies from the 60's, or listening to Brockhampton. She anticipates the new school year and the experiences that accompany it.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst