This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It has been about a year since I first discovered the wonders of consignment store shopping. In the midst of COVID-19 last fall, I made the spontaneous decision to set foot in 2nd Hand Rose of Needham, a charming shop tucked away in the center of town. By combining the advantages of thrifting and retail, the store is truly the best of both worlds when it comes to quality, price, and sustainability. So the next time you are tempted by the lure of fast fashion, I encourage you to embrace these five reasons to go consignment shopping instead. 

find High-quality items at a fraction of the cost

You don’t need to break the bank to create a capsule wardrobe of pieces you will wear again and again. Instead, utilize consignment shopping as a means of embracing quality over quantity. In my experience, I have discovered vintage jackets, full-length trench coats, patent leather boots, and even designer sunglasses that have become mainstays in my college wardrobe. Although these pieces are an investment, you will find substantially lower prices on classics, as well as funky items that are made to last. Plus, be sure to check out seasonal promotions to increase your savings! 

enjoy a Personalized shopping experience

The welcoming, friendly, and helpful staff at 2nd Hand Rose are one of the main reasons I return again and again. In a good consignment store, you will find owners who understand your unique style and can serve as a personal shopper who is determined to help you find things you’ll love. Compared to retail shopping, I have never felt pressured to buy anything, and know that I can rely on honest feedback about how something looks or fits. I have yet to find another store in which the owners greet me by name and excitedly direct me toward new arrivals that are in my size. The experience of secondhand shopping is uniquely personal and has become a bonding experience that my mom, sister, and I can all look forward to.

support a Sustainable alternative to fast fashion 

Consignment shopping enables you to enjoy new clothes without the detrimental impact to the environment caused by fast fashion and retail. By shopping secondhand, you make the conscious decision not to further the countless amount of CO2 involved in manufacturing and shipping new clothing items.

Curate your wardrobe with unique items

Personally, I find thrift shopping a little overwhelming. Although the prices are student-friendly, it can be hard to navigate the sizing and quality of various items. Instead, I turn to consignment shopping where I can search from a curated collection of various styles, brands, and designers that I know are worth my time. Even though I don’t shop with a particular item in mind, I appreciate the logical setup of 2nd Hand Rose that allows me to easily locate sweaters, pants, outerwear, shoes, and jewelry.

earn money by consigning your own pieces 

Let your old pieces find a new home, and make money doing it. Contribute to the cycle of quality sustainable fashion by bringing in your own personal clothing items that no longer fit, you don’t wear, or you simply don’t like anymore. Choose whether you want to receive the money directly when your items sell, or if you would like to receive store credit toward your next purchase. 

Get in on the fun, and check out your local consignment store to join a community of savvy and eco-friendly shoppers this season! 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Jayden Whittaker

U Mass Amherst '23

Jayden is a senior majoring in political science as well as a member of the Commonwealth Honors College at UMass Amherst. She is passionate about international relations, foreign policy, and protecting the environment. In her free time, Jayden enjoys hanging out with friends, spending time outside, and working out at the Rec Center.