The Season of Giving: Gifts Anyone Would Enjoy in 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As 2020 comes to an end, we get closer and closer to the holidays. With Thanksgiving just around the corner, holiday shopping is at the top of everyone’s to-do list. Shopping for your family and friends can be hard, especially when you have had a year like this one. Unique and considerate gifts are out there, and I am here to give you some inspiration. Use this gift guide to find the perfect gift for your loved ones. 

Care Package 

Everyone loves a little self-care, and it’s something I preach about often. A care package could include nail polish and face masks, or a new shaving kit and fun socks. Personalize a care package for your family or friends, and cater it to them. Keeping a consistent theme will keep you focused while trying to shop, and adding notes could help personalize it. Remind your loved ones to take care of themselves and to sit back and relax during the holiday season!

Coffee

Let’s be honest, everyone has become addicted to coffee during quarantine and online learning. Coming from someone who used to only drink it every now and then, coffee now rules my morning. Not only is it a very popular item, but it’s expensive! Buying coffee grounds, cold brew bags, or maybe some new accessories for coffee making can be a great and convenient gift for anyone in the family. 

Plants

The older I get the more I appreciate a lovely plant. Whether it be a dainty succulent or a five-foot-tall indoor potted plant, this can be a great gift for many. A plant is easy to take care of and puts a smile on everyone’s face. Plus, plants naturally brighten the room and create a more welcoming home. 

Water Bottle

Reduce, reuse, and recycle! Get your mom, dad, brother, or college roommate a new water bottle. There is such a wide variety of brands that are trending right now, from Hydro Flask to YETI. A water bottle is a realistic and practical gift, and it encourages staying hydrated on a daily basis. 

Air Fryer

Okay, this one may be best only for certain audiences, however, rumor has it they are the next best thing. Air fryers can be used to cook practically anything and, if you are like me, you want great food cooked quickly. Personalize this by creating a recipe book to get them started on meals that are easily made with their new appliance.

Journal

Give your friends and family the opportunity for self-reflection by giving them a journal. A journal can be a bit cliche, but they really do come in handy. Journaling is beneficial for everyone, and encouraging others to start can be a great gift in itself.

Monthly Subscription Boxes

Nothing says a great gift like the gift that keeps on giving. There are loads of recommendations for so many different monthly subscription boxes. They range in prices and are geared towards many different audiences and age groups. Getting someone a monthly subscription box is a fun way to continue reminding your friends and family how much they mean to you (on a monthly basis of course).

Although you may find it hard to get into the holiday spirit this year, allow yourself to relax and exhale. It is time to appreciate the end of a very long year with some holiday spirit and gift-giving. 

All images courtesy of HC Media Library

Abbey LeClair

U Mass Amherst '22

Abbey LeClair is a senior at the University of Massachusetts - Amherst, majoring in Psychology on the Neuroscience track. She loves to spend her time hanging out with friends, listening to music, and dancing for the UMass Dance Club. Feel free to follow her on Instagram: @abbeyleclair
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst