Rome, Sevilla, Sibiu? How About Them All: Your Quick Guide to Side Travel While Studying Abroad in Europe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Picture this, you’re studying abroad in your new favorite city. You’ve acclimated to your new home for the semester, you’re in the swing of things with your classes, and you’ve found a good group of friends. It’s time to delve into an exciting aspect of your study abroad experience. Side travel! 

When I thought of studying abroad, I thought about visiting a new country every weekend. It’s Europe! Travel is cheap and easy. Here are my top tips for side travel when you are abroad.

Take it slow

No need to rush in or plan too far in advance. When it comes to travel in Europe, especially in the off-season of fall and spring, there usually is no need to plan too far in advance. I took my first-weekend trip to Sibiu, Romania after about four weeks abroad. My friends and I only began planning about two weeks in advance. Keep in mind, we had to work with COVID-19 restrictions, so a little foresight was definitely needed. We booked our flights, which were only about 60 euros, and a beautiful Airbnb we all shared for relatively cheap. 

Take your time abroad week-by-week, if you happen to see a cheap flight or there is somewhere else in Europe you’ve been dying to go to, bring it up to your friends or consider a solo trip. But don’t feel like you need to rush into side travel! Take your time to get to know your host city and country. If visiting a new country every weekend is not your speed, take it slow and prioritize the places at the top of your bucket list

Travel During a Long Break

If you have a long break during your semester, consider hitting a spot where there are multiple cities you want to visit. Instead of taking three different weekend trips to various cities in Italy, my friend and I went to Italy for 10 days during our Easter vacation and hopped around. In these 10 days, we hit Milan, Lake Como, Naples, Sorrento, Pompeii, Rome, and Florence. 

We then flew back to our host city for a night, did a load of laundry, and packed up again to fly off to Spain to visit our friend in Sevilla for five days. Taking advantage of the long break my program had was a great way to explore Europe. We got to see so much more of Italy than I had ever anticipated seeing. 

Transportation tips

Now on to the logistics. Flights in Europe are quite inexpensive. Europe has a ton of budget airlines, my favorite of which is Ryanair. Some others include Vueling, easyJet, Wizz Air, and Norweigan. I got a 15 euro flight, round trip, from Ireland to London, and later a 30 euro flight one way from Ireland to Milan, with a carry-on bag included. I know, crazy. Travel is much more attainable and budget-friendly when in Europe! 

The train system throughout Europe is also a fantastic way to travel. If you’re studying abroad in Paris, you can take the train to so many other places in Europe, and even to England! During my 10-day trip to Italy, we took the train from city to city, it was super easy to navigate and generally inexpensive! 

where to stay

Of course, next to flights, the next big thing to consider when planning a trip is accommodation. Hostels are a super great way for cheap accommodation and are usually in a pretty central location. I stayed in hostels in Toulouse, France, all throughout Italy, and in London. For those of you that aren’t too familiar with hostels – I know I wasn’t before going abroad – hostels are kind of an extra budget-friendly hotel, where you share a room with a handful of other people. Most hostels offer female-only dorms, as well as mixed-gender dorms. Depending on the plan you choose or the hostel, some offer breakfast included in the price. Hostels are also a great way to meet people, most offer events or have a bar or club attached to socialize close to home 

If hostels aren’t really your speed, Airbnb and hotels are also a great option and can be budget-friendly. In Naples and Sevilla, I stayed in Airbnb’s that were cheaper than the hostels in the area and offered a bit more privacy. 

It takes a bit of hunting, but after your first couple of weekend trips, you’ll be a pro at finding what you are looking for for the weekend. 

When you’re there

Before you arrive at the new place you’re excited to explore, make sure you account for how to get from the airport to your accommodation. Europe generally has amazing public transport, so just do some research beforehand!

After you’ve settled into your accommodation, don’t waste any time! Leave your room and explore the beautiful places the city has to offer. Check out museums, landmarks, and delicious restaurants. Walk along the river in Rome or just explore the unique architecture in Sibiu, Romania. Wherever you are, there is so much to see so take advantage of it! 

A hot tip: if you are traveling during a peak time – like Italy during Easter – you may have to book museum visits in Florence, the Vatican in Rome, or restaurants a little in advance. 

Your study abroad experience will be something you look back fondly on for the rest of your life and may just spark that travel bug in you. These tips should help you open the doors to all the possibilities of side travel while in Europe. It’s an amazing learning experience, take advantage of it and have fun!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Karishma Mistry

U Mass Amherst '23

Karishma is the Editor-in-Chief and a senior honors student at UMass Amherst, majoring in public health and economics. Some of her passions include advocating for female health, reading, and anything involving food. As a dual citizen of the US and UK, she loves to travel. Feel free to follow her on Instagram @karishmamiistry or her foodstagram @munchinwk.