RLCG: A Look at Coachella Fashion From Someone Who Knows Nothing About Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

To preface this, I have no idea what constitutes fashion these days. Whatever permutation of body-blankets is deemed the chicest by the powers that be really doesn’t mean a whole lot to me. That said, it is interesting to see what clothing choices either prevail or stand out at music festivals, and Coachella is notorious for this thanks to the California weather, celebrity appearances, and general strangeness of the attendees’ clothing. I’m just going to go take a stab at a figuring out what was going on with these fashion choices. This might not be entirely right, but even a blind dog finds a bone every once in a while. Let’s begin:

Well. Um… I guess this isn’t illegal, but I can’t say it’s the best decision this guy ever made.

Coachella is definitely a place to find relevant and current celebrities, and also Paris Hilton. I also don’t know how a lace bodysuit counts as clothes, but I guess this is a thing. 

Why are knock off Native American ceremonial war bonnets/other sorts of headdresses so popular at festivals? Not only are they very disrespectful to Native American veterans to see a symbol of what they fought for paraded around by miscreants at a neo-Woodstock, but also having a giant mass of feathers on your head is probably not the best decision in the California heat. 

Along with the not-terribly-relevant celebrities at Coachella trend, here’s Kendall Jenner. The sunglasses, while pretty, probably can’t be that good for actually seeing stuff out of, especially the parts that are covered by flowers. I guess if it works for her, it’s OK. I don’t know. 

This outfit seems like what would happen if the fringe jacket a singer in a psychedelic band I opened for in Boston wore and a giant doily had a baby. I figure if it works for the person wearing it, go for it, it just seems like an odd material and design for a dress.

I didn’t know you could tie-dye a morphsuit and I don’t think I needed to know that you could tie-dye a morphsuit. I’m not questioning its validity as an outfit, I’m just questioning why someone would own this, given that there probably aren’t that many instances where you could wear this. The hair is also a thing that I don’t understand. 

Given the high-profile nature of Coachella, the eyes of the world may be upon you while you’re there. They’re also upon this woman’s outfit, whatever kind of clothing this outfit is (leggings? pants? crossbreed tank-top and turtleneck?) It’s very pretty and a cool pattern, it’s just that sometimes you get the feeling that you’re being watched and this is one of those times so I’ll review something else.

This isn’t 2007, you’re not Borat, and it’s lost its luster these past few years. Unless he bought it on his own accord without the Borat affiliation, for which I question his motives but I’m glad he’s confident in his body. 

Not entirely sure why music festival fashion is this weird. The ones I’ll be playing at over the summer will mostly be just camping with music and drugs, which seems to be the general trend of what festivals consist of so I don’t know why Borat suits and headdresses are entirely necessary (probably drugs). Let me know your thoughts!

Benjamin Bosco

U Mass Amherst

Ben Bosco: writer, musician, compendium of useless knowledge. If you don't expect too much from me, you might not be let down.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst