RLCG: I Read My Boyfriend’s Texts and Facebook Messages

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Question: “I looked through my boyfriend’s texts and Facebook messages and found out he has been flirting with other girls. Should I tell him what I saw or pretend like it never happened?”

RLCG Ben: First, please make sure the context is actually flirting with a romantic/sexual intent. Some people, boys and girls alike, will tell their friends that they are beautiful people regardless of whether they are in a relationship at the time or not with completely platonic intent. However, if the person was trying to romantically/sexually flirt with another girl, then you have a problem on your hands.

I’m not going to ask why you were searching through his facebook/phone/whatever, but the problem still stands that he was flirting with another girl in what is (apparently) a monogamous relationship. Don’t call him out on it just yet, but be wary of it if he conspicuously flirts with someone again. However, the problem could not only be his affection with other girls, but the fact that you’ve invaded his privacy (unless he explicitly let you look through them) which shows that you’re now not really apt to trust him. Rightly so, considering what you found, but trust is a major part of any relationship and without trust it’s living on borrowed time regardless of what you do. 

Benjamin Bosco

U Mass Amherst

Ben Bosco: writer, musician, compendium of useless knowledge. If you don't expect too much from me, you might not be let down.
Alexa Harrison

U Mass Amherst

Alexa Harrison is the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus UMass Amherst as well as a Management Intern at the Her Campus Media headquarters. She is a Senior English major and IT minor with a specialization in Nonfiction Writing. In her free time, Alexa enjoys going to museums; drinking iced green tea; and playing around with Adobe Creative Suite.