Reasons Why I Love Grey’s Anatomy…After All These Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

In 2005, I was 6 years old. Despite my young age and probably lack of skill to pay any attention to something for longer than five minutes, I still recall watching Greys Anatomy alongside my mom. Of course, I was not aware of all the details of the show, but at a young age I was able to recognize key elements in the plot and identify between characters. This show is nostalgic to me and holds a special place in my heart. 

ABC | Grey\'s Anatomy

As time has progressed, I have only come to love this show more and more. The various characters, the medical speech, minor plot points, and major plot points keep my attention after all this time. One key reason I believe myself and others still follow this show, is the relevance in today’s world it has. The plot continues to include global issues the world faces today, keeping the viewers on their toes and on edge. Including issues such as medical mysteries, racial microgressions in society, human trafficking, and even most recently the Covid-19 pandemic. Each matter has been woven in the storyline of Grey’s Anatomy, only showing this show’s growth within society. 

Courtesy of ABC

While being a very woke show, viewers all over are held tied to this series through the romantic relationships alone. One of, and if not the most iconic love stories, between Meredith Grey and Derek Shepard is still breaking the internet. Although Derek died in season 11, he reappears after a long time of Meredith finding her own way in the most recent season, season 17. This reemergence had viewers blowing up the internet and allowed everyone who follows the series down a sentimental route, reminiscing on the past of their romance. 

Some other reason I love this show so much also comes from the beautiful friendships created between characters. My all time favorites include the friendships between Merideth and Christina Yang and Merideth and Alex Karev. These examples portray friendship as supportive, fun, and loving. These two specific examples are not mushy, but rather have hard exteriors which allow glimmers of softness. These friendships have developed from the beginning of the show and still continue to blossom even with Christina’s actual character not included in the frames as she moved away. 

As I have no future in the medical field, this program lets the viewer enter a world they otherwise would never get a chance to be a part of. That is a key element to many successful movies or shows. Creating a sought after world to imagine oneself in. This includes also being based in a very cool place, like Seattle. For me and many others, it is a place far away where I have never been. The scenery and overall rainy climate is shown in the show creating an aesthetic that is hard to match, therefore setting the series apart yet again. 

Clearly, there are many reasons to love Grey’s Anatomy beyond those I listed. I will forever hold this show close to my heart, as it has grown with me and as I have also grown with it.

Logan Lornell

U Mass Amherst '22

Logan Lornell is a Senior at UMass Amherst and is a communications major with a psychology minor. Logan has a passion for beauty, fitness, health, fashion and travel. She is excited to be apart of Her Campus and to share her thoughts and experiences on a range of topics.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst