This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The pandemic has taken its toll on a lot of large and loud gatherings, but GenZ is fighting back with TikTok. A new “party,” culture has emerged that makes weekends with the same groups of people a bit more exciting. Viral themed nights are allowing friends to tap into their creative side to plan different themed nights to add a little bit of spice to their usual gatherings, so here is a ranking of TikTok themed nights to inspire you to have a lit night in filled with a lot of laughs and fun! As always, make sure to plan these nights with you and your community’s safety in mind!

Decades Night

This one comes in first place for me, but it’s got to be done right! The 90s themed night would definitely be my go-to decade, but on top of wearing low-cut jeans, butterfly clips, and straightening your hair, I also want to see 90s top hits playing for the music of the function. If we aren’t singing, “I Want it That Way” really off-pitch at some point during this night, I’m out. I want to see some young Leo in Titanic, I want to hear a mix of angsty alternative music and old school rap, and don’t forget to buy some Lunchables to snack on late at night. If you and the girls are planning a decade night, I want to see that decade at every stop and of course, don’t forget to inspire others by sharing your night with others on TikTok!

Dress Like the First Letter of your Name Night

This one is new on my for you page, but it gives me all the Halloween vibes and since the holiday was pretty much cancelled this year, this themed night has all my love and support. Each person dresses like something that starts with the letter of their name so since my name is Anna, I could dress like an avocado or an anaconda. My phone has nearly erupted in flames with some costumes while others will have me throwing my phone laughing. The different takes that this night allows for will definitely make this gathering an interesting one, but I’m hoping someone comes up with a better name for this themed night because it’s a little too wordy for me. 

Powerpoint Night

This theme is a classic one and a very strong contender, as it definitely leads to a lot of good laughs and we love the license of creativity that this night allows for. I had one of these nights with my friend group and just about every powerpoint had me in tears. This night can easily be a success as long as you put some thought into your slides, but it also felt like a little bit of a homework assignment which is why I’m ranking it as #3. My procrastinating friends brought their laptops to the sleepover to finish up their slides which adds to the scholarly environment even more. On the plus side, it’s a good opportunity to work on public speaking skills, which I know we are all terrified of.

Movie Themed Night

I’m currently working on a Twilight Movie Night with my girls and this is perfect for a chill night in. This one can be done right if you make sure the drinks, food, and apparel all match the movie or series you’re watching. Extra stars if you include a photoshoot with this night (yes my photoshoot will include fake fangs). You can go all out for this night or just binge watch movies if you are feeling a little lazy, but the more work you put in, the more fun it will be!

Create a Cocktail Night

This night gives all of the friends in the group a chance to shine with their bartending abilities. Every friend creates a different drink and after taste testing, the group votes on the best one so your competitive side will feed into this night, heavily! This night is great for getting creative but the downside is that everyone will probably be crawling at the end of the night unless you decide to make it a “mocktail night.”

Dress Like Your Ex Night

I like this one because it allows us to roast through imitation which is one of the worst types of roasts there are. It will most likely allow people to be dress comfortably as they roll up to the function in either slides and basketball shorts or cargo pants and vineyard vines tops. This night can also be thrown together last minute which is def a plus and the reveals include a lot of laughter.

Polls Night

This night def has the potential to take a turn for the worse, so I would recommend doing it with a close group of friends to avoid some beef or awkward moments. Some of the questions that friend groups will put in the polls are downright savage. Some examples I’ve seen are, “Who is the biggest hoe,” “Who is the dumbest in the friend group,” “Who is the most likely to accidentally get pregnant,” and if you want to see some worse examples, pull up TikTok! You may cry at some point and I’d recommend a few drinks before the reveal to take away from some of the blows this night may include. Maybe you will leave feeling inspired to be a better person?! You can also use this opportunity to make fun of your friends!

White T-Shirt Night

This night is starting to get a little overdone which is why it goes last on the list. You essentially write something on a t-shirt that is clearly untrue about yourself. I love the self-cynicism and irony of it plus it’s quick and easy to organize which gives it some brownie points. I’m pretty sure the Dollar Store has white t-shirts if you are trying to organize your night! I feel like this night is more fun with a big group of people which is currently not the safest, but if you are cool with being unoriginal, try out this night with your pals!

It’s not a party… it’s a get together!! I hope you have as much fun planning these nights as I did ranking them! Make sure to celebrate consciously to keep not just yourselves, but also your communities safe!

Anna Belle Murray

U Mass Amherst '23

Anna Belle is a sophomore at UMass Amherst, studying English and Communications with a minor in education. Some of her hobbies are cooking, traveling, and reading. Her favorite topics to write about are food, fashion, and astrology.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst