Popcorn
Popcorn
Sara Carte / Spoon

Ranking My Top 5 Favorite Buys From Harvest Market at UMass Amherst

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you go to UMass Amherst, you already know that Harvest Market is one of the top snack spots on campus. Located on the first floor of the Campus Center, Harvest Market is a little on-campus supermarket at UMass where you can grab a pack of chips, a croissant, juices, ice cream, and much more, all alongside four fully stocked salad and meal stations as well. To pick from all of these options for a quick snack or a meal is a nearly impossible choice, but I’d rather be spoilt for choice than not when it comes to food. While we all know UMass is #1 dining in the country, I’m about to tell you what’s #1 at Harvest so you can try something new on campus.

Cabot Pepper Jack Popcorn ($5.99)

These packs of popcorn are worth every single penny. I have tried other brands like Skinny Pop and Boom Chicka Pop, and Cabot by far takes the cake. (Or corn — you get the point). The sharp pepper jack flavor keeps you coming back for more, and I find myself grabbing a pack almost every other week to snack on at home or while studying on campus. They also have other flavors like sharp cheddar, but I have a soft spot for pepper jack cheese, so this is my go-to.

Chicken and Celery Cold Salad (Priced as weighed)

I can’t sell this any better than the name does. This salad is extremely flavorful and the celery balances the chicken out perfectly while giving it a fresh bite. I find myself craving this particular salad on some days, but mind you, they don’t have this in stock every single day. So, if you’re like me and looking to indulge in this yummy dish, keep an eye out for the days it’s being offered.

Wonderful Salt & Pepper Pistachios ($4.49)

Growing up, my dad would always bring me a bowl of fruits and nuts while I was studying as a little reward, so I often reach for these pistachios as a study snack. They also have other flavors like lightly salted, chili, and more. It’s also a snack that doesn’t get me too full before dinner as opposed to my choice of Hot Cheetos, so this is a great alternative to heavier snacks on the shelf.

Mapleline Coffee/Strawberry Milk ($1.99)

It completely blows my mind how slept on these milk drinks are. I grab a little bottle of coffee milk when I’m not looking for a strong cup of coffee but still want a little kick of it. It tastes like melted coffee ice cream in a bottle — there’s not much that gets better than this, and the same applies to Mapleline’s strawberry milk. These are also sourced locally, so the milk is extremely fresh and yummy.

Indian Food Station (Priced as weighed)

Hidden in a little corner of Harvest, this Indian food station is a slice of home for me on days I’m craving it. They serve different dishes on different days of the week (my personal favorite being the butter chicken on Fridays) and it’s a great way to enjoy fresh, hot food on the go right in the middle of campus.

Here at UMass, you can use either debit/credit cards at Harvest or Dining Dollars which accompany your meal plan. I think I’m going to have to add more money onto my meal plan with how quickly it’s depleting; you already know where it all goes now. An honorary mention to the Chipotle Ranch at the salad bar as well: it’s the most fluffy texture I could imagine and goes really well with fries. Now that I’ve revealed all my Harvest secrets, give these a go and let me know any of your personal favorites — I’m always open to new ideas!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Vaidehi Bhatia

U Mass Amherst '23

Vaidehi is a writer for the University of Massachusetts Amherst chapter. She is a graduate having majored in Informatics on the Data Science Track with a minor in Business. Enjoy the articles about fashion, beauty, relatable college experiences & wellbeing, and feel free to reach out on LinkedIn or Instagram!