Places to Check Out in Western Massachusetts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’re not from around the area and you’re looking for something fun to do in your free time, there are so many places around to check out. From shopping to eating to getting scared on a haunted hayride, here are just a few places you should go! 

1. The Holyoke Mall

Holyoke is only about a 25 minute drive from Amherst, so this is definitely the perfect trip if you have a car on campus. This mall is about 100x better than the Hampshire mall, trust me. It has stores like Forever 21, H&M, Victoria’s Secret, and Sephora… really what more could you want?

2. Six Flags

Six Flags is a theme park located in Agawam, Massachusetts. It has rides for everyone- whether you like crazy rollercoasters or just simple games to play, Six Flags has it all. The biggest rollercoaster (and the best) is Bizarro, based off of the fictional supervillain featured in a DC Comic. 

3. Bright Nights

Bright Nights is located at Forest Park in Springfield, Massachusetts from Thanksgiving to a few weeks after Christmas. It is a 2.5 mile-long holiday light show that has visitors come from all over the globe. There are more than 500,000 lights in the attraction with some of the most popular parts being Toyland and the North Pole Village. It’s a fun trip to make with friends that will be sure to get you into the holiday spirit. Turn up the Christmas songs and get ready to see some beautiful lights!

4. The Lee Outlets

Lee is a little bit of a drive from Amherst, but it’s well worth it. The outlets are filled with a bunch of shops such as Pacsun, Nike, and Bath and Body Works, usually all with a lot of discounted items and great sales. The outlets are great to go to in early fall or spring as you walk outside from shop to shop. Be prepared to spend some money, but also to find amazing deals!

5. The Big E

The Big E comes to West Springfield every autumn and stays for 17 days. It has everything from celebrity singers to horse shows to great food (which it’s most famous for) to a big-top circus and authentic Mardi Gras parade. It also has rides you can enjoy that really are comparable to places like Six Flags. It gives you a taste of Massachusetts life and you can sample food and buy trinkets from all different parts of the state and beyond. 

6. McCray’s Farm

McCray’s Farm is located in South Hadley and perfect for fall. My favorite part about McCray’s is the haunted hayride/house they put on every October. It isn’t too far from Amherst and it is a great way to get spooked and ready for Halloween.

What are you favorite places in Western MA, Collegiettes?

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Class of 2019 journalism major at UMass Amherst! Absolutely love makeup, fashion, and everything in between.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst