Style > Beauty

Oily Skin? Here’s Products I Recommend for the Ultimate Skincare Lineup.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Skincare has become my absolute favorite self-care ritual I just can’t go a day without it. Performing my nightly routine never fails to give me a refreshed and satisfied feeling, perfect for making me feel cozy and ready for bed every night. For several years, I struggled with acne spots on my chin, cheeks, and forehead, and felt hopeless about the products I was using and was constantly wondering what I was doing wrong. Until I went to my dermatologist, I had no idea that what I was facing was oily skin. She told me what to look for as I browsed through different products, such as those labeled as “oil-free.” Although it is still an ongoing battle, as little volcanoes still pop up on my face every once in a while, I have finally found products that have been working great with my skin type. 

What causes the skin to be so oily in the first place? Production of the skin oil sebum is the culprit, and although it can provide many benefits to the skin, too much of it leaves the skin more prone to acne due to easily clogging pores. Luckily, there are many tricks and products you can use to avoid this problem.

If you are really struggling with your acne, my first tip would be to see a dermatologist if it is available to you. They can help you figure out the root of the problem and suggest ways to prevent or treat your acne struggles. As a disclaimer, my dermatologist provided me with medicated face creams that help to prevent acne and clear up my acne scars, but without other products like good moisturizers or face washes, those medications alone wouldn’t be enough for my skin.

Foaming face cleansers are best for washing oily skin. I use the Cetaphil Pro Oil-Removing Foam Wash, which I have been loving for years. It feels lightweight but is super powerful. If you have more sensitive skin, Cetaphil also has a Gentle Foaming Cleanser, which is less intense. 

Another very important product is moisturizer. After trying out multiple different brands and types of moisturizers, my current go-to is Cetaphil’s Lightweight Daily Moisturizing Lotion. I love that it doesn’t feel heavy or slimy on my skin, as some moisturizers often do. It’s perfect for wearing throughout the day or overnight.

For those pesky blemishes that love to make an appearance, I have discovered some great spot treatments that really surprised me by how well they work. For whiteheads, the Hero Mighty Patches are mind-blowing. Overnight, they reduce puffiness and remove what is clogging the pore. They also make Invisible ones, so that you can wear them throughout the day and it is barely noticeable. You can really tell that they work, too! Another spot treatment for those more under the skin is the Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Spot Treatment. Using this for just a few nights in a row helps your spots almost instantly clear up.

The Lalapink Beauty Products
Her Campus Media

Another important thing to consider is what is in your makeup. I have yet to find the perfect concealer and foundation for my oily skin, but beauty products are also things that you should look for as “oil-free” and “water-based.” It’s also important not to sleep in your makeup and to have a good makeup remover. Personally, I prefer removing makeup with micellar water and a cotton pad over makeup wipes, since the wipes tend to intensely dry out my skin, no matter the brand. 

Lastly, what we do on a day-to-day basis also influences what happens to our skin. Much like the rest of your body, a healthy diet and cleanliness impact the overall health of your skin. Being careful not to touch your face throughout the day and making sure to wash up every morning and/or night will help to rid all of the dirtiness of the environment around you from getting into your pores.

Acne can make us feel a little insecure at times, making us feel as if everyone is staring at the imperfections on our faces. But the truth is that everyone goes through it, and more importantly, it is only temporary. Most times our blemishes will be gone within a few days. So rather than being concerned about what others might see or think, make yourself feel better by practicing a little self-care; stay clean, do a face mask, use your favorite products, and if it comes to a point where you’re feeling unsuccessful, talk to a dermatologist or someone going through the same thing. Self-care and prioritizing yourself are so important, so make sure to fit some self-love into every day!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Jessica Mangels

U Mass Amherst '25

Jess is a junior Environmental Science major at UMass Amherst with a minor in Education. She is from Long Island, New York, and loves being able to catch a good sunset at the beach. She enjoys sharing her passions about sustainability, saving the planet, her favorite TV shows, and music with others.