The Notebook
The Notebook
New Line Cinema

Not Just Noah from The Notebook: My Top 6 Ryan Gosling Movies, Ranked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

In my humble opinion, Ryan Gosling is one of the best actors of our generation, and he should be known for more than just The Notebook, La La Land, and Crazy Stupid Love. Since I’ve seen nearly all his movies, I’m here to recommend my favorites.

DRIVE

I binged all of Ryan Gosling’s films after watching Drive because that’s how good it was. The plot is intense, suspenseful, and violent. However, it’s the cinematography, soundtrack, acting, and overall mood of the film that left the biggest impact on me. There’s no time wasted on pointless dialogue and fluff, and it has depth without filling in all the gaps for the viewer. Ryan Gosling only spoke 116 lines (an equivalent of 891 words) throughout the entire film. It’s no wonder we even analyzed this film in one of my film classes; it’s artistic and succinct, excelling in wordless, visually stunning shots backed with captivating soundtracks. If you think Ryan Gosling is handsome in The Notebook, you haven’t seen him in Drive.

Blue Valentine

I was nervous to watch this film because everyone talked about how utterly depressing it was. Spoiler alert: they were right. The movie portrays a failed marriage, but what really hurts are the tender flashbacks scenes of them as young adults madly in love. The contrast between the hopeless, blue reality (filmed in high-definition with a severe lack of happy colors) and the rosy past (filmed on a nostalgic 16-millimeter film camera) is heart-wrenching. The director, Derek Cianfrance, actually had Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams live together for a month before filming, hence why their chemistry in the film feels real, and why the end feels all the more devastating. The movie takes you on a journey where you truly feel for the characters and want the best for them, and you’re hurting with them when it all comes crashing down.

The Place Beyond the Pines

This is another absolutely heart-wrenching film, directed by the same director as Blue Valentine, Derek Cianfrance. It portrays fatherhood and its effect on the next generation, as told through the stories of two fathers, played by Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper, and later, the stories of their two sons. Ryan Gosling’s character, a man who robs banks to provide for his baby, is certainly controversial and very flawed, but you can feel his determination that he will do anything to make sure his son grows up better than he did. Nonetheless, the movie portrays how difficult it is to break the cycle of abandonment and instability, and the strength it takes to endure that kind of situation.

Crazy Stupid Love

I found the beginning of this movie to be rather slow and not super funny, but trust me, you just have to stick with it. All the weird, seemingly unrelated plot lines will tie together, and it culminates in the most hilarious scene I have ever witnessed. My brother and I were laughing for a solid 10 minutes at that part; if you’ve seen the movie, you know what I’m talking about. Ryan Gosling is also at his finest and is so charismatic in this movie. In fact, all of the actors pair so well together, and I wish I could be part of this cast because I love it that much.

The Notebook

I didn’t want to include The Notebook, but I have to. The script is mediocre, and especially after reading the book, I realized that the dialogue in the film could have been so much better. But let’s be real, the movie still makes us all feel warm and fuzzy.

La La Land

I enjoyed La La Land, although I think it’s definitely overrated. I found the dialogue to be unoriginal and pretentious, especially when Seb was explaining to Mia what jazz is. The director, Damien Chazelle, also directed Whiplash, which is a lesser-known movie with a much lower budget, but in my opinion, a lot better. I also learned that Damien Chazelle’s favorite movie is The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, a 1964 French film, and after watching that film, I can safely say that La La Land was inspired by that film but it comically pales in comparison.

Definitely check out these six Ryan Gosling movies!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Carol Liu

U Mass Amherst '23

Carol is a senior at UMass Amherst majoring in Operations & Information Management. When she's not writing, you can find Carol watching documentaries, oil painting, hiking, or organizing events with Smart Woman Securities and the UMass Taiwanese and Chinese Students' Association.