This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I used to have an affinity for white eyeliner. I’m serious. I thought it was the best thing since waxing. I would wear it everywhere thinking that I was so fly with my white eyes. I was dead wrong. Looking back at pictures I looked like a down right hooker; I’m talking back alley. Yikes. I can’t help but notice little beauty faux pas like mine all around campus, so I decided it might be time for a tiny “check yourself before you wreck yourself” read.

Eyes

The best thing to do is stick to a shade that compliments your eye color. Unless it’s Halloween, white is an N-O. 

One major mistake I’ve been seeing on campus lately is blue eye shadow. Now, sometimes navy can be classy, edgy, and gorgeous! However, I am talking about that baby blue turquoise hybrid that finds its way onto too many lids these days. I think the first eye shadow that I ever put on was blue. It was fun and bright, which is why I think that some girls, ahem women, still want to play with it. Instead of looking like you stole your mother’s eye shadow palette, here are some tips to help make those peepers pop!           

For us blue-eyed babies, stick to earth tones such as copper or basic black. Also, a dark violet can look absolutely stunning on blue eyes.

Green and hazel eyed gals turn to purple. It’s your best friend. Your eyes will pop like it’s no other eye-color’s business. That look might be better-suited for going out, so if you’re going for a more natural look go with dark browns with gold undertones.    

Brownies, I envy you. You can get away with just about anything, not white, but anything else. Gold will make your eyes sparkle, but if that’s not you just have fun and experiment!

Lips
The best advice my mother ever gave me was how to put on lipstick. Okay, maybe not the best, but it’s up there!
Never, I repeat NEVER, put your lipstick all the way around your lips. As in, everywhere but the corners of your mouth. You will end up one red nose short of a circus clown. Hey, if that’s what you’re into kill it girl, but I’m assuming this is not the case.

The best way to apply a lipstick is put a little in the center of your upper and lower lips, and then take a lip brush and blend the color towards the outer corners.

Face
In my last article I mentioned the dirty look that can come from bronzer overload. Trust me, I know what it is to be pale and think that just one more layer will do the trick. Put that brush down. It is better to embrace that pale is beautiful (hello, Anne Hathaway), than to look like you got in a fight with a tanning bed and the bed won. Try to limit yourself to one application. Even if you still feel too pale, just focus more on your eye shadow or a bright lip color.

Until next week my beauties!