This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Remember the YCMP craze that took over Blue Wall? We all hope something like that never happens again — but if it does, here are some dining options around campus that you can escape to:

Whitmore cafe

Located on the bottom floor of Whitmore — an administrative building behind Herter Hall — one can find a hidden Green Fields! Usually, the Blue Wall Green Fields has a super long line, but a five-minute walk to Whitmore will bring you to the same eatery for virtually no wait time! Besides Green Fields, they also have a mini buffet and they always serve chicken tenders, crispy waffle fries, pho, as well as ready-to-go salads and sandwiches! Plus the staff here are so sweet and patient. This cafe is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. during the week.      

Earth foods

Located on the bottom floor of the Student Union, students can find super healthy and allergy/diet-conscious meals. Earthfoods offers many gluten-free and vegan/vegetarian options! Stop by to support a student-run business and for some cool music too — they always have a good playlist going! Earthfoods is open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Monday through Thursday!

roots cafe

Located in the Honors College, students can enjoy tasty quesadillas while studying in the Sycamore building of the Honors College until 9:00 p.m.! If you live around the Honors dorms, this is a good place to grab a bite to eat and do homework with a friend while watching the sunset across the street before going home!

Newman cafe

Located on 472 North Pleasant Street at the bottom of the Newman Center, students can find tasty grab ‘n go breakfast options until 2:00 p.m.! They also serve chicken tenders when it gets to lunchtime. In addition to serving food, there is a whole cafeteria seating area for everyone to enjoy their meals, catch up on homework, and hang out with their friends. Soon, this cafe will be located across the street in the new Newman Center!

People’s market

Located on the middle floor of the Student Union, students can find the perfect place to grab a quick iced coffee, hot tea, or bagel before class starts as early as 9:00 a.m. on weekdays! In addition to bagels though, they also serve a variety of pastries such as banana bread or pumpkin bread. And they play great music too!

sweets & more

Open from 7:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. on Sunday through Thursday, and located in Field Hall on OHill, students can find this student-run business serving sweet treats such as creamy milkshakes, soft cookies, and delectable cupcakes. This is especially convenient for those who live in Orchard Hill and Central because students are able to access this dining area and enjoy mouth-watering treats late at night and so close to home!

Try one of these alternative dining areas when searching for a less hectic place to find food at UMass Amherst!

Want more from HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to keep up with us on Instagram, jam with us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter

Amaka Agozino

U Mass Amherst '23

Amaka is political science major hoping to go to law school to become a lawyer. Her other interests include song writing, playing piano, and photography. She also loves creative writing and pop culture!