Need To Get Out of a Reading Slump? Here Are 5 Books To Get You Started!

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Book lover or not, we all have times where we either can’t get into a book or procrastinate starting one. In fact, I was in a slump for the longest time, and I felt disappointed in myself for feeling this way. But, it’s all about waiting for the right book. Here are some books that pulled me out of a reading slump!

The cruel Prince

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black was the first book that got me back into reading during winter break. It’s officially one of my top five fav books ever! I absolutely loved this series and couldn’t put it down all night. I literally stayed up until 3 a.m. because the plot just kept getting better and better; it was impossible to put it away! While it mainly follows a love story, it’s kept intriguing by different subplots that also drive the story. That said, if you’re interested in a slow-burn enemies to lovers trope, a fantasy fiction, a whimsical story setting, and a book about kings and queens, then this is for you!

The housemaid

The Housemaid by Freida McFadden is a great book for keeping the reader on their toes and questioning characters. It’s the type of book that doesn’t make it obvious where the plot is going, and genuinely makes you think “What the f*** is going on!?” This was the first book I read of McFadden’s, and after finishing it I ran to her other mystery books. She strays away from the traditional mystery plots and tropes and adds a fresh and innovative perspective to her books. She brings characters to life with incredible detail, allowing the reader to feel like they know them. A great read for picking apart characters and trying to figure out what makes them tick!

jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
One true loves

One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid follows a woman and her decision between her long-thought dead husband and her fiancé. It’s a lot of fun to read the character’s innermost thoughts, especially in the predicament of “Who do I choose?” I also must say, both of the love interests and their connection with the main character are so amazing that it felt impossible to pick one! However, this book goes deeper than surface level, as it shows different sides of grief and learning how to become your own person after so long. It was very uplifting to read because it felt so real, and it shows that it’s okay to have a moment of sadness but to not let it hold you back.

None of this is true

None Of This Is True by Lisa Jewell is a great psychological thriller that makes you wonder who is telling the truth. All of the characters had me questioning if I could trust them or not, and it went so much farther than I could imagine! The two main characters, Alix and Josie, have such interesting stories that I kept reaching for more about them. Don’t worry, no spoilers, but the vibe was similar to the Netflix show “You” with Penn Badgley and Victoria Pedretti.

The seven husbands of evelyn hugo

The Seven Husbands Of Evelyn Hugo, again by Taylor Jenkins Reid, is such a captivating story that it’s also in my top five fav books! I loved reading about Evelyn Hugo’s life in old Hollywood and her stories about the seven husbands she had throughout her life. The stories of each husband give a different perspective on her life and reveals the scandals and drama she endured at the time of their marriage. Reid offers a twist that brings a whole new meaning to the seven husbands. Looking for a romantic and heartwarming read with LGBTQ representation, this one is for you!

Book cover of The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
Original photo by Sobham Panja

These books definitely saved me from my reading slump and created fond memories of reading each one. I love to read, but I do believe it is hard to keep up with it when you’re busy with other things, like school or work. However, a reading slump doesn’t stop you from being a book lover, and it’s possible to get back into it with the right book!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Amanda Chung

U Mass Amherst '26

Hi! I’m a member of UMass Amherst’s HC, and I’m just spreading my ideas and having fun! :)