scene from Bridgerton on Netflix
scene from Bridgerton on Netflix
Shondaland / Netflix

Need to Fill the Void After Bridgerton? Here Are 5 Period Dramas That You Should Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Season two of the Netflix show Bridgerton has been taking up a lot of my brain space since it was released a few weeks ago. This would be completely fine except for the fact that now all I want in any media I consume is passionate love stories set in a time far away from our own. Because of this, I’ve had to remind myself that there are other good TV shows and movies out there that fill this void. If you’re in the same boat as me, here are five of my favorite period TV shows and movies that I think are similar to Bridgerton and will help tide you over until the next season is released.

Pride and Prejudice (2005)

This film is the cornerstone of the female gaze, which we all know Bridgerton’s love stories are known for. If you’ve been living under a rock and haven’t gotten around to seeing Matthew Macfadyen’s Mr. Darcy do some excellent hand acting, you are in for a treat. Even if you’ve already seen it, it certainly calls for a rewatch. I noticed so many more things when I watched it recently and had so much fun seeing all of the love plots play out while watching gorgeous ball scenes with beautiful dresses.

Anne with an e

If you’re going to watch any show on this list, I am begging you to watch this one. Anne With An E is a retelling of the novel Anne of Green Gables and does it in the most wonderful and whimsical way. The acting and cinematography are off the charts, so every episode is a joy to watch. If you are looking for a new show to fly through, this one has only three seasons (even though Netflix never should have canceled it), so it will give you an incredible story with a great love plot in no time!

Emma

Emma was the first new movie I had watched during the pandemic as it came out in February and quickly had to be put online as theaters shut down. Amid the chaos, this film was a bright light. I love the use of colors and sets in it, and Anya Taylor-Joy is a pleasure to watch as the titular character. If you loved Clueless, then you’ll definitely love this one because it was based on the novel Emma by Jane Austen.

Red Roses
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Reign

This show is my favorite guilty pleasure at the moment. I first watched Reign last summer and have been obsessed ever since. Is it historically accurate? Absolutely not, but it is some of the most fun I have ever had watching TV. Amidst the somewhat cheesy drama, there is a beautiful romance, dreamy visions of Scotland, and a very handsome leading man, so you should definitely check it out!

Downton Abbey

Downton Abbey is my oldest favorite on this list as I started watching it in sixth grade. I immediately fell in love with the British accents and architecture. It’s technically a soap opera, so there’s drama for days and many romances to swoon over. Dame Maggie Smith is a treasure as Violet Crawley and is reason enough to watch — her wit will have you laughing more than you ever thought you would during a period drama!

I hope you got some inspiration to watch/rewatch these amazing period pieces! I know the next time I’m not finishing an essay I will definitely be winding down with one of these. Enjoy!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Kate Dahlman

U Mass Amherst '24

Kate is a senior English major with a minor in business and a certificate in Professional Writing and Technical Communication at UMass Amherst. She is very passionate about all things literature! When she isn't studying or writing an essay, she loves to read, cook, and work out. She loves being apart of Her Campus at UMass!