My Take on the 6 Week-Long Winter Break and What I Did to Keep Myself Occupied

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you are like me, you love a good long break from school. No classes, no homework, your own shower, spending time with your family, seeing your hometown friends, and getting some really amazing home-cooked meals. I love to be home — but not when every single one of your friends leaves two weeks before. I realized how boring being home was very quickly when your siblings are in school all day, your parents are at work, and all your friends are back at school. I needed some things to keep me occupied — you can say I was going a little stir-crazy. So, here’s what I did to keep myself occupied during the long break.

Here’s one thing about me, a guilty pleasure some might say — I love reality TV. However, because I love reality TV so much, I have watched almost every episode of all of the reality TV shows, and watching reruns of The Kardashians just wasn’t cutting it anymore. So, I stumbled across what might be my new favorite reality tv show — Below Deck (if you are asking me, I think Below Deck Mediterranean is the best version, but they’re all very good). It’s a reality show about the lives of crew members who work on a boat that charters very, very wealthy customers and spend six weeks out on the sea in close quarters — Below Deck watchers know the crew members as “yachties”. It is a constant state of chaos, drama, romance, fights, and just about everything you would see on the best reality TV shows. I highly recommend giving it a watch.

When I wasn’t binge-watching Below Deck, I tried to learn how to cook some simple meals. I won’t lie — some of them were not the best. But over time, I got a little bit better. Some of my favorite meals I made were: ‘Marry Me’ chicken, a chicken hibachi meal, steak tips, and the famous Emily Mariko salmon bowl. I have never really cooked more than things like mac and cheese, so this was definitely a learning curve for me — but I honestly found it to be really fun and it will definitely help me when I move off campus next year.

Lastly, I did a lot of reading. I love to read, but during the school year, I do so much reading that at the end of the day when all my coursework is done, the absolute last thing I want to do is read. So whenever I am home for break, I read as much as I can. My top three books that I read over beak that I would highly recommend were: Good Girl, Bad Girl, Then She Was Gone, and The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. These were all amazing books that hooked me from the first chapter — I often had a pretty hard time putting them down, which got to be a problem at some point or another (we have all been there).

All in all, this winter break was long (too long in my opinion) but I tried my best to make the most of it, and I really loved having some time to read, watch, and try new things. So if you are bored next break, try to cook, read my book recommendations, or binge-watch Below Deck — it will definitely make the time go faster.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!  

Jolie Leavitt

U Mass Amherst '25

Jolie is a Sophomore at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, majoring in Legal Studies with a Business minor. Some things she loves is reading, travel, female empowerment, music, and anything Harry Styles or One direction.