This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I’m always looking for new songs to obsess over and overplay. Here are a couple of my recent ones!

“Wicked game” – him

One time when I was scrolling through my TikTok “For You” page, I came across a video of 5 Seconds of Summer. There was a song playing in the background that caught my attention. After looking through the comments, I found the name of the song, “Wicked Game.” I fell in love with the song before listening to it fully. “Wicked Game” was originally by artist Chris Isaak, where it is sung slower and feels melancholic. HIM made it into a rock song that feels angry and bitter. I prefer HIM’s version and I expect to see it in my Spotify Wrapped this year!

“Why can’t we be friends” – the academic

On Spotify, they have radio playlists based on artists you listen to. I had this one radio playlist from one of my favorite bands, Catfish and the Bottlemen. After shuffling it, I got the song, “Why Can’t We Be Friends,” which is an indie rock song. The song is overall so much fun. I’ve played and sung it a couple of times around my sister, and she randomly started singing it one day too. She ended up loving the song too, and added it to her liked songs. The album that it’s from, Tales from the Backseat, is just as incredible as the song.

“‘Slut!'” – taylor swift

I have to say I am a huge 1989 girl, so I was very excited to listen to 1989 (Taylor’s Version), especially the vault songs. After listening to the album and the vault songs, it did not disappoint. It was an amazing re-record, and I have been playing the songs constantly since the album was released. Lately, I’ve been listening to “Slut!” and it’s such a good song. I can definitely see how this was written around 2014 because of how much slut-shaming there was against her then, but I love how she used people’s negative words and put them into a song.

taylor swift\'s 1989 (taylors version)
Taylor Swift / Republic
“spit of you” – sam fender

Sam Fender is an amazing artist that I’ve recently been into. If you like Catfish and the Bottlemen or Inhaler, you would be into his music! “Spit Of You,” is a beautiful acoustic song from the album Seventeen Going Under. Each of the songs I chose, they have something special that catches and holds my attention. For this song, I think it’s not only the repetition of the chorus, but how he sings it each time. It’s clear he sings this song with passion, as do I when I sing it.

I wanna be adored – the stone roses

I am absolutely in love with this song. “I Wanna Be Adored,” begins with an almost two-minute intro that eventually leads into an electric guitar. The intro feels magical with ethereal ringing sounds that remind me of wind chimes. The intro may be long, but it’s something I never skip and adds to the song. The rest of the song is just as magical as the intro and one of my favorite rock songs.

In case anyone needed recommendations of great songs to overplay, here are a couple of great ones!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Diane Da Silva

U Mass Amherst '26

My name's Diane Da Silva and I'm a sophomore at UMass Amherst majoring in English and Portuguese.