My Older Sisters Inspire Me. Here’s Why.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Having two older sisters has taught me how to love, fight, be responsible, care for others, listen, stand up for myself, and so much more. Without the influence of my sisters, who are nine and twelve years older than me, I would not be the person I am today. 

My oldest sister Lindsey is hard on the exterior but a big old teddy bear on the inside (to an extent). She has an extremely goofy side that she rarely shows off. From her, I have learned how to be a strong independent woman. She is responsible and has shown me how to rely on yourself over others. She probably has no idea I think so highly of her. Lindsey is not afraid to speak her mind and says what she thinks. This aspect of my sister is one that energizes me to do the same, and sometimes I catch myself thinking of what she would do. 

My sister Lauren is the second daughter and has the biggest heart of anyone I have ever met. She is caring and considerate. Lauren is always seeking to offer a helping hand. Just from watching her, she has shown me how to care for other people and how to truly listen. Lauren has taught me how to get things done and that hard work has great results. Her work ethic moves me. She persuades me to think rationally and think before doing things, which sometimes I am not great at, as I want to do things without thinking them all the way through. My sisters’ minds both influence how I think. Although similar, they are different and they see things differently from each other and from me. The combination of the two leave me feeling comforted in knowing that I have them in my corner.

Of course, growing up with two sisters, fights were had and on occasion still do happen. I have fought with each and learned from each. I have learned how to apologize and how to forgive. The funny thing about sisters is that one minute you can be yelling at the other for stealing a shirt and the next you can be laughing at the fight altogether and all is good in the world. Having sisters is not an easy task. It’s a full time job with a lot of perks. As much as we fight, we laugh even more. We can make fun of each other and laugh at the stupid things each of us do. 

My sisters and I are not very lovey dovey at all. Rather, we are sort of mean to each other and give each other a hard time, but it all comes from a place of love. This goes without being said. The bond I have with my sisters is one that I will never match ever again in my life. It is different from having friends. It is more. 

The reason my sisters inspire me is because they are who they are so unapologetically, and they do not even know the extent of how great they are. Their actions inspire me to be a better person. My sisters are two of the greatest women I know, and I am grateful every day for being able to watch them grow as strong women. They are role models I will always strive to be. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Logan Lornell

U Mass Amherst '22

Logan Lornell is a Senior at UMass Amherst and is a communications major with a psychology minor. Logan has a passion for beauty, fitness, health, fashion and travel. She is excited to be apart of Her Campus and to share her thoughts and experiences on a range of topics.