My Love Letter to UMass As A Graduating Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Dear UMass, 

It has been a wild, crazy, and unpredictable time here. I cannot believe I am no longer an undergraduate student. I entered this big campus the summer before I applied and had no idea what was coming. I remember sitting in Godell Hall listening to an admissions counselor speak about the Honors College thinking, “there is no way I can do that.” Now four years later, I have submitted my Honors thesis. When I think about my time here, experiences similar to that particular story come to mind. It goes something like this- I came in thinking X was going to happen, but Y did. Or I thought X, but now I think Y. But isn’t that what college and this experience is all about? Going into it, having an idea of what your four years will look like, what you will be doing, and then having it be a bit different? Maybe completely different? 100 percent. 

I came into this school thinking that I would major in Psychology on the Pre-Medical and Neuroscience Track. I can happily say that that never happened, and I am glad for that. I also came into UMass with the mindset that I would only be successful if I majored in hard science or obtained a business degree. This mindset has also changed as well. 

Change. A scary thing to say and even scarier to experience. Thank you, UMass, for letting me experience this with grace. I have struggled a ton in the past with accepting changes, but my experience here has been full of it, and I am eternally grateful for that. If I were resistant to change, I would not have gotten the chance to pursue my true passion of Sociology and Political Science. I also would not have gotten the chance to be admitted to the SBS in DC Program here at UMass (which was the best experience I have had here). 

Along with change, I also learned the importance of patience. Knowing that what is meant for me will not escape me. In terms of opportunities, friendships, classes, and more, I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason. During my freshman year, I lacked patience when it came to finding my footing and community here. When I came to UMass, I knew that I wanted to make a difference within the community. I joined and left clubs, made friends and drifted away from them, etc. This experience has taught me that good things take some time. And it did! While COVID-19 affected every college student’s sense of community, once I came back to campus my junior year, I felt like I was a part of something bigger than myself. The clubs I am a part of, the lifelong friends I have made, and the sense of camaraderie, I feel will be everlasting. 

Now that I am leaving this place and going into another chapter of my life, it’s hard not to wonder what is next. This place has taught me the importance of really slowing down and taking it day by day. While there is no harm in making plans and following through with them, I have also realized that these plans may change! Who truly knows? The truth is I won’t know until I get there, and in the meantime, I’ll just enjoy my way over.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Niajah Hyppolite

U Mass Amherst '23

Niajah Hyppolite is currently a senior majoring in Sociology with a minor in Political Science. During her free time she enjoys watching comedies and spending time with her loved ones. She loves reading memoirs and always has a caffeinated beverage in her hand at all times. This is her fifth semester with HerCampus and she is very excited to write!