My Favorite Ways to Spend My Dining Dollars: 5 UMass Retail Dining Locations and What to Get

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Going to UMass Amherst has many perks, but my personal favorite has got to be the food. It’s no secret that UMass has been ranked #1 in the country for dining for the past couple of years, and for good reason. Grabbing meals with friends and being able to try new foods has been one of my favorite parts about being away at school. If you ask any of my friends, they’ll tell you that I’m always trying new dining locations or treats all around campus. If you’re like me and love to blow through your dining dollars, or if you’re just looking for some new places to grab a quick snack or drink in between classes, then this is the article for you. Here are my top five favorite retail dining locations and what to get!

People’s Market (Student Union)

There are so many things that I love about the People’s Market, and one of my favorites is that they are student-run. Located on the first floor of the Student Union, People’s Market has a ton of options to choose from. They have tea bread, coffee, chai, and cookies, but my favorite thing on their menu has to be their bagels. My go-to order is a hot ‘n’ spicy bagel with plain cream cheese. If they’re out of stock, I will grab an Asiago bagel. If savory bagels aren’t your jam and you’re more of a sweet person, try the snickerdoodle — I promise none of them will disappoint.

Peet’s Coffee & Tea (ILC)

Sometimes I feel like I pretty much live at the ILC. Since I have most of my classes there, I’ve spent a lot of my dining dollars there. While I’m not the biggest fan of coffee, every once in a while I like to grab a coffee drink, just to try something new. I’ve tried a lot of the different coffee options on campus, and I think Peet’s in the ILC has to be my favorite. My drink of choice is a vanilla latte with almond milk. While it’s simple, it’s delicious and something about their vanilla syrup is just so good. My honorable mentions would have to be the holiday spice latte (seasonal) or an iced matcha latte. Their pumpkin-flavored drinks are awesome in the fall and are definitely worth a try.

Carney Café (Isenberg)

Carney Café isn’t a place I visit super often, but I wouldn’t mind if it were. I’m a huge smoothie girl, and their smoothies probably have to be my favorite on campus. The Mango Tango smoothie is my personal favorite, but all of them hit the spot. Along with smoothies, I’m a huge grilled cheese fan. While the grilled cheese from Frank does the trick most days, the Carney grilled cheese just feels a little more special. If I had to pick just one option from the Carney menu, it would be the chicken bacon ranch grilled cheese. It might fill you up for a couple of hours, but it is so worth it.

Argo Tea (Southwest)

One thing I love about Argo is the convenience. Some days when I’m feeling lazy and don’t want to go to the dining hall or if I go back to my dorm in the morning after class, Argo is the perfect fix. Located in Southwest by the Hampden Gallery, Argo Tea has a seemingly endless menu of teas, coffees, boba, and different drinks. It’s a nice change of pace from some of the usual cafes and dining options on campus. My classic order is a hibiscus lemonade with a turkey and Swiss panini. The drink options are truly endless, but Argo is one that you just have to visit yourself to see all they have to offer!

Green Fields (Blue Wall)

Every once in a while I’ll find myself craving a hefty salad or wrap. The ones from Grab and Go are okay, but the ones from Green Fields are pretty great. My friends and I always joke about how eating at the Blue Wall feels like eating “real food” and not dining hall food. My all-time favorite from Green Fields is the Caesar wrap with crispy chicken. These wraps are huge, so definitely grab one if you’re feeling hungry. If you’re ever craving greens, Green Fields is the place for you.

If you have dining dollars to spend, I hope I’ve inspired you to check out some of the amazing retail dining options here at UMass Amherst. There truly is something for everyone’s unique tastes and preferences. Bon appétit!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Kelly Moussa

U Mass Amherst '26

Kelly Moussa is a sophomore at UMass Amherst majoring in Communication, with minors in Film Studies and Business. She is super excited to be writing for Her Campus, and in her free time she enjoys painting, working out, traveling, and discovering new places to eat.