Style > Beauty

My Favorite Sustainable Brands at Sephora

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

With Glossier launching at Sephora, it’s hard to decide which hyped-up products and brands are worth your money. Thanks to all of the sustainable beauty brands at Sephora, green, clean, eco-friendly makeup and skincare products are so easily accessible. Many brands at Sephora have started to invest in sustainability practices that go beyond simple recyclability. Here are some of my favorites!

Youth to the people

This brand uses clean, science-driven products that are environmentally friendly and sustainable. Additionally, they use environmentally friendly manufacturing and packaging techniques. They are also cruelty-free, vegan, and ethically source all of their ingredients from California whenever possible. One of my favorite products they sell is their Superfood Antioxidant Cleanser, made with superfood antioxidants from kale, spinach, and green tea.

LYS Beauty

LYS Beauty is a dream brand for sustainably-minded shoppers and is Sephora’s first Black-owned, Sephora Clean color cosmetics brand. With eco-friendly packaging, LYS has also confirmed that they do not test their products on animals or ask others to test on their behalf. They do not sell their products in countries that require animal testing and their suppliers hold the same beliefs as them. Like many beauty products, LYS Beauty uses mica, a mineral used in cosmetics to add a shimmery effect. The mining of mica has long been associated with child labor and human rights violations. However, the mica used in LYS Beauty is ethically sourced and does not include the use of child labor. They require their suppliers to sign a supplier manual which includes a section on the requirements they have for their supplier’s code of conduct. One of my favorite products from this brand is the Triple Fix Serum Foundation because of how light it feels on my skin and how blendable it is. This foundation also comes in a wide variety of shades and is very buildable.

Fenty Skin

Fenty Skin is another brand from Sephora that is cruelty-free, meaning that none of their skincare ingredients or products are tested on animals. They are a 100% vegan brand, with all of their ingredients derived from non-animal sources. On top of that, their packaging is refillable and recyclable. They are categorized as Sephora Clean, meaning it’s free of over 50 ingredients deemed unacceptable including sulfates, parabens, and phthalates. One of my favorite products is the Fenty Skin Instant Reset Overnight Recovery Gel-Cream which is so easy to put on at night and wake up with brightened skin.

While these are just a handful of the sustainable brands offered at Sephora, there are so many other cruelty-free, vegan-friendly, and eco-friendly brands at Sephora that are committed to social, environmental, and sustainable practices.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Angie Oliynyk

U Mass Amherst '25

Angie is currently a sophomore at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. There, she studies management and is inspired by all things fashion and beauty! She enjoys listening to music, walking her dogs, and spending too much money thrifting.