My Favorite Female Celebs: In Honor of Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

March is Women’s History Month, which means dedicating a whole month to the celebration of the contributions of women throughout history and modern society. Each year, The National Women’s History Alliance chooses a theme for Women’s History Month. The theme of 2023 is recognizing and celebrating “women, past and present, who have been active in all forms of media and storytelling including print, radio, TV, stage, screen, blogs, podcasts, news, and social media.” Selena Gomez, Taylor Swift, and Emma Chamberlain are my top three favorite female celebrities who have inspired and empowered me throughout my life in their own ways. So, in honor of Women’s History Month, here’s my appreciation for these three absolute queens!

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez is inspiring, beautiful, kind, and talented. She is currently the most followed woman on Instagram, with over 402 million followers, as of March 21, 2023, and is loved by her fans for good reason. I grew up watching Selena Gomez on the Disney Channel show Wizards of Waverly Place, playing the role of Alex Russo. This show was my absolute favorite thing to watch on Disney Channel and I looked up to both the character Alex Russo and the actress, Selena Gomez.

Aside from acting, Selena is also a singer and has produced many albums, my favorites being Stars Dance (2013), Revival (2015), and Rare (2020)! Her songs are always a go-to, and I love singing them in the car or dancing to them in my dorm room. Not only is she talented in the music and acting industry, but Selena also has her own makeup brand known as Rare Beauty, which promotes inclusivity, positivity, authenticity, and mental health advocacy. I adore her makeup brand because her makeup makes it feel like my natural beauty is enhanced, not covered up.

Selena is my favorite female celebrity not only because of her talented acting, singing abilities, and makeup brand but also because of the kind-hearted person she is. She promotes kindness and self-love on her social media and she continues to inspire me and millions of other women around the world.

Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift OWNS the music industry, at least in my opinion she does. Taylor is another iconic female celebrity who has inspired women of all ages with her music. I have been listening to Taylor Swift for as long as I can remember, and she continues to be one of my favorite singers. No matter what mood I’m in, I know I can put on some Taylor Swift songs and instantly feel better. My childhood favorite album was Red (2012), which Taylor re-released in 2021 as Red (Taylor’s Version). Her most recent album, Midnights (3 a.m. Edition) (2022), is currently my favorite to listen to.

Taylor’s music is relatable and enjoyable to listen to, and like many of her fans, I know the lyrics to most, if not all, of her songs. I have been manifesting getting last-minute “The Eras Tour” tickets so I can hear Taylor sing in person. Her music has connected a vast amount of people together into a positive and welcoming community. I just know if I met Taylor, she would be the sweetest person ever.

Emma Chamberlain

Emma Chamberlain is one of the most relatable celebrities to me, partially because she is so much closer in age to me than other celebrities like Selena Gomez and Taylor Swift. Emma is 21 years old and I am 18, only a few years younger than she is. Emma isn’t part of the music or acting industry, but she is still an extremely successful young woman. I first started watching her on YouTube where she posted funny and relatable vlogs about her life as well as videos about fashion, which I love because she promotes sustainable shopping through thrifting. Emma is also a model, has her own coffee company Chamberlain Coffee, and podcast Anything Goes with Emma Chamberlain.

Emma’s podcast is very down to earth and lets herself speak freely. Her podcasts, like her YouTube videos, are funny, creative, and relatable. I like podcasts because I can listen to them when I am walking or driving, I don’t have to be stuck staring at a screen. Emma’s podcast gives listeners a space to indulge in some comedic relief whenever they need an Emma-pick-me-up.

There are so many women who deserve to be celebrated during Women’s History Month, including the women reading this article. Although I only mentioned very famous female celebrities, you don’t need to be a singer, actor, model, or social media influencer to be worthy of celebration. Each woman has her own unique story that deserves to be celebrated. And in the words of Selena Gomez, “Be yourself always, there’s no one better.”

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

UMass Amherst Psychology Student I like to read, travel and spend time with friends.