sorority advice?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sorority advice?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer / 20th Century Studios
Life > Experiences

My Fall Rush Experience At UMass Amherst 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As a freshman, I decided to partake in the college culture of rushing a sorority for my fall semester. Since it’s officially rush season for the spring, I wanted to share my journey of rushing for those interested in learning more about it! 

Bid Day 2
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

What is rushing?

Rushing refers to the process of seeking membership in a fraternity or sorority.” Essentially, fraternities and sororities host events for people to get to know more about the organization and its members. It’s non-binding, so attending these events doesn’t guarantee a spot in the organization. Therefore, anyone can just go for fun or to meet new people! If you’re really interested in joining a sorority or fraternity, then rushing is very important. Not only do you get to know the members, but you also get to know if the organization fits you or not. It’s important to remember that it’s your choice whether or not a certain organization is where you want to be. My advice would be to rush a couple of different organizations to see which one fits best for you. There are many fraternities and sororities on campus, so don’t be afraid to explore!

My Rush Experience

The summer before I started college, I already knew I wanted to participate in rushing for a sorority, preferably, a multicultural organization. I did my research on social media and looked at which sororities might be best for me. However, I knew that just looking at their social media account wouldn’t give me the full picture. But, it’s still good to do online research before jumping into the actual thing. I contacted some of the sisters (what the members of a sorority are called), and I asked them questions about rushing and their sorority. I got a better understanding of their organization, and I also gained a new friend in the process. I contacted other people who were also interested in the sorority, and I asked them if they would like to go to some of the events with me. From doing that, I made companion buddies to go with and felt less alone throughout the journey. The events were very fun! They weren’t too formal or serious. In fact, most events consisted of playing games, making art, or participating in charity work. I enjoyed the art activities the most, especially since I can sit down and talk with everyone. I never thought I would enjoy rushing this much. Not only did I have a lot of fun, but it also taught me some skills. I got a better perspective on how to network by talking to many different people and trying to connect with them. I also had a formal interview with the sisters which helped me prep for future interviews for jobs or internships. Rushing can give you the ability to meet new people and possibly create new connections, but it can also show you the social aspect that one might experience in work life.

Overall, rushing a sorority helped get my first year of college off to a great start! I felt less alone, I made new friends, and I had something to do other than stay in my room and not socialize. If you’re thinking of rushing you should give it try! However, don’t be too worried if you feel like rushing fraternities/sororities isn’t for you; there are so many things happening on campus that you can be a part of!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!  

Amanda Chung

U Mass Amherst '26

Hi! I’m a member of UMass Amherst’s HC, and I’m just spreading my ideas and having fun! :)