My Experience as a Transfer Student During the Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The seats of Bartlett Hall were filled with students in my Ecology of Disease class squished together in tiny desks learning about the potential impact of COVID-19. No social distancing, no hand sanitizer in sight, and no knowledge of how long this disease would affect our country. Within days, the routine I was just starting to develop at UMass had to adjust once again.

I transferred to UMass for the spring semester, arriving in January and unexpectedly packing up my dorm just 52 days later. Even with a bucket list still so long, my time on campus was cut short. Despite never going to a lacrosse game, getting to try the legendary sushi, or completing a full in-person class on campus, I had to leave the new place I so quickly fell in love with. 

With my return home just being 20 minutes across the bridge, Northampton was not the refreshing new place that felt different when I returned. The snowbank on the corner of Pleasant Street and Main Street that formed over winter break remained, the parking lot downtown was still chaotic at all times, and people still walked around with smiles on their faces.

The eerie vibe that lingered throughout the rainy Friday the 13th in March stayed with me, creating lasting confusion in regards to my college experience for the following months.

New Girl Nick Miller Emotional GIF
Giphy / Fox

When people asked me about where I go to school, I didn’t really know how to answer. Emerson? No, not anymore. UMass? Yeah, but kind of, not really? I was on campus for a little bit but then from March to May, I was online learning through a computer with no live classes. 

The dynamic of living with my parents rather than kids my age felt like such a loss, the irreplaceable connection between in-person lectures and students was not felt through my screen and every aspect that makes UMass unique I missed so deeply. The loss of connection I had throughout the spring made for a confusing freshman year, but nonetheless, an experience I could only learn from. 

With no concrete established friend group from UMass to connect with over the months of social distancing, I was more than eager to get back on campus. The fall semester turning back to remote after months of anticipation was a clear loss, but it was the harsh reality I had to accept. 

The only thing I could do next is to fully embrace the obstacles that would come with the fall semester and learn to fully adapt to socializing online. Zoom meetings for extracurriculars became the new dinner dates with friends, Instagram live workout classes made up for in-person Pilates at the Rec Center. But as much as I tried, I could still never recreate Berk’s stir fry.

I took advantage of as many writing opportunities as I could to make friends and do what I love to do. I continuously tried to talk in break out rooms to normalize the awkwardness just a little bit. I’ve learned to accept that no matter how much I hate FaceTime, it can be a great tool when you miss your roommate.

With no plan for the spring, I predict a semester similar to this one. While my time on campus seems further and further away, my appreciation for the time I did have on campus will remain close to my heart. I firmly believe I shall eat another Hamp omelet again, finally experience a spring day on campus, and complete a full semester of in-person classes with some of the best professors. 

The unknown impact this virus will continue to have on our country guarantees nothing but only emphasizes the importance of leading with love, gratitude, and hope. I miss you dearly UMass, and I hope to see you sometime soon. 

Letterboard - "Be proud of how hard you are working"
Photo by Emma Matthews Digital Content Production from Unsplash

Lulu Kesin

U Mass Amherst '23

Lulu is a senior double major in journalism and communications. Some of Lulu's passions include wearing patterned pants, dancing in the grocery store, watching coming of age movies and advocating for female equality in the sports industry.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst