My Discovery of Foundation at the Age of 20

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Foundation is something most girls don’t even think about when getting ready. It is just part of their everyday makeup routine. However, foundation has never been part of my getting ready process until this year. When my friends and I would get ready, I would watch as they put on their foundation. I was always scared of it. I always thought it was going to make me break out or I wouldn’t blend it in enough. I also didn’t want it to look cakey and fake.

I have always had a love for makeup. When I was 13, I started watching YouTube videos of how to do your own. I would always skip the parts where they put on the foundation. I always thought it was an unneeded extra step. I couldn’t understand how wearing all of that on your face didn’t make someone feel gross and dirty. 

This year I saw this foundation on TikTok called Good Apple. It seemed to work well for people so, I decided to give it a try. I went out and bought it and, it wasn’t until I put it on that I realized how much of a difference it made. I have always had pretty clear skin but, it wasn’t until I put foundation on that I realized how even it makes your skin look. 

I had my friends help me figure out how to evenly apply it so I didn’t look like a mess. This was a crazy idea for them, considering most of them had started wearing foundation years ago. I also had them help with face contouring and all the other parts after putting on foundation. I had been contouring my face before my foundation, but I wanted to make sure there were no extra rules when it came to putting products on top of the foundation. 

On the first night I put on the foundation, I had never felt more confident. I hadn’t felt this confident in years. I had even skin and I loved the way I looked. It is a big moment for most girls to start wearing foundation, but mine just happened to be years after most. Beauty standards make it seem as though you are expected to wear certain makeup and look a certain way. I was never one to follow these, through. It wasn’t until I was ready that I took the time to get a foundation I thought I would like.

This may sound like an over-exaggeration, like it’s just foundation. But being 20 and having this be the first time you have ever worn it is crazy. I have yet to meet another girl who doesn’t wear foundation whenever they go out. I think this is a pretty fun fact about myself, something not many can relate to. For any girl out there unsure about if they want to start wearing foundation or not, go for it! Take your time and wait until you’re ready, but don’t be scared to try it out and ask for help. I have loved makeup all my life, but without the help of my friends, I would have never known how to do it on my own. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Sydney Dion

U Mass Amherst '23

Communication Disorders Major