My Campus Survival Guide: What to do where you’re going – Spring Break ’11

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.
Spring beak is the perfect time for college students across the nation to part take in the ultimate party experience. The only problem is, with so many amazing places to choose from, how do you know which place is right for you? Here is your guide to the popular places people go & how to make your trip one you will never forget!

The Bahamas

The Bahamas are an obvious amazing choice for any spring breaker looking to party. A booze cruise on the Bahamian Queen I cannot be missed. This is a glass-bottomed boat that cruises you around the luscious light water for four hours providing you with alcohol, snorkeling, swimming, and plenty of good music. While the nightlife is definitely not hard to come by, a hidden gem is The Drop Off located on Bay St. in Nassau. This is a basement dance club and bar that gets a little crazy! Other popular clubs are Pure Nightlife, Club Waterloo and Charlie’s.
*Monday weather – Partly Cloudy; High of 75

Punta Cana

Punta Cana is a popular destination for UMass spring breakers this year. With the gorgeous weather, beautiful beaches and crazy nightlife, why wouldn’t it be? Something a lot of people don’t know is that after 9pm at most resorts performers come and put on a show of dancing, joking around, and engaging the audience in activities. A great way to start the night. After that, head to Pacha Disco located in the Riu Hotel resort complex from 11pm-4am for live entertainment mixed with pop music and merengue and bachata. A true feel for the Dominican. During the day there’s plenty of drinking to be done at your resort. A fruity cocktail goes perfectly with the lavish pools and white sandy beaches.
*Monday weather- Chance of Rain; Partly Cloudy; High of 82

Cancun, Mexico

When someone says “Cancun” you automatically think spring break. This is what we grew up watching on MTV afterall! Cancun, as one of the most popular destinations, offers a nightlife that you cannot miss. Most of the nightclubs are located within the Hotel District so they aren’t too hard to get to. Hot spots are Senor Frogs, Coco Bongo, The Hard Rock Café, Dady Rock Bar, and Pat O’Brian’s where you’ll be partying ‘til 6am! If you’re not feeling the drinking after a hard night of partying, but you want to do something adventurous try out the Captain Hook Cruise where you get to travel back in time and be a pirate for the day. Whatever the experience you’re looking for, Cancun is sure to offer it!
*Monday weather- Partly Cloudy; High of 82

Acapulco, Mexico

After spending a week in Acapulco last year for spring break, I can tell you that you will not leave disappointed. What could be better then spending your days on the beach or by the pool with a DJ blasting your favorite tunes, then moving the party to the clubs at night? Palladium, Acapulco’s hottest night club, along with the many others are known for celebrating the “dance of the devil” at 3 am every morning. The Acapulco devil, dressing in nothing but silver paint, stops by to bring the party house music. There are also many activities to do on the beach such as banana boating, bungee jumping and swimming with dolphins. The best part is, you will come back to UMass with a FABULOUS tan!
*Monday weather- Clear; High of 82

Panama City, Florida

Panama City is a classic choice for spring break. With beaches, pools, and TONS of college kids you’re bound to make some memories. Hammerhead Fred’s is a great way to start the party with 40 FREE kegs of draft beer. For daytime fun head to Harpoon Harry’s for beach contests and free giveaways. The Sandpiper Beacon Tiki Bar is a MUST see at night. Party until 4am on the beach with all your new friends. Panama City also offers things like parasailing and skydiving for all you adrenaline-rush-seekers. What’s more is that there are always celebrity guests in Panama City for spring break. Keep your eye out and your ears open and maybe you’ll catch a glimpse!
*Monday weather- Partly cloudy; Highs 69 to 72

Las Vegas, Nevada

Whether your perfect idea of spring break is gambling the night away or hitting the clubs, you can find both in Vegas. This is a perfect destination spot for 21+ spring break goers leaving Vegas on the list of top destinations. During the weeknights Vegas offers “industry nights.” This means that basically one club is open for all to attend. Lines can get pretty long so book VIP passes ahead of time online or with your hotel. Coming from UMass you won’t want to miss O’Sheas – a casino that has a whole room devoted to playing beer pong. Head over with your friends and play college students from across the country. Be sure to check out the roller coaster inside of the New York, New York Hotel before you start drinking! You know what they say.. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.  (That is until those questionable pictures hit Facebook)
*Monday weather- Partly cloudy; Highs 68 to 74

Miami, Florida

There is nothing better than tanning and swimming poolside at the beautiful beaches of Miami, then hitting south beach later that night. Miami has held the reputation as hottest spring break destination for years due to its clear warm waters, great club scene and awesome shopping. There are plenty of things to do during the day for the students who don’t love relaxing on the beach such as board walks full of shops, boat rides and snorkeling. You will meet many students from all across America leaving you with lasting friendships and many memories.
*Monday weather- Partly cloudy; Highs in the upper 70s

New York City, New York

Known as the city that never sleeps, the nightlife in New York City will blow your mind. There is so much to do leaving you with many options to choose from each night and day. Even though NYC does not have beaches and warm weather during the month of March, the shopping and landmarks greatly make up for it. Daily activities include shopping at the nations most popular stores, going to elaborate Broadway shows, and visiting museums and historical sites such as the Empire State Building.  NYC is also known for hosting celebrity filled parties and concerts every night of the week.
*Monday weather- Sunny; Highs in the upper 40s

Even though every place will give you a different experience, spring break is mostly about the people you share it with. Your friends are what will really make the experience full of memories and fun. Now that you have the low down on all the hottest spring break spots, you could pick which is best place for you and your friends to live it up for a week.

Caroline Bagby is a senior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst majoring in Journalism and minoring in Spanish. She spent her summer interning at Kiss FM for Boston's #1 hit radio show and getting owned by the restaurant where she waited tables. She is now double interning for Her Campus and for ABC40 in Springfield, MA where she is working as a broadcast news intern. Caroline hopes to one day make a name for herself in the production industry. She enjoys spending the money she doesn't have, bubbletinis, watching movies, writing, and surrounding herself with friends and family.