My Campus Survival Guide: The Ultimate ‘Where to Study Abroad’ Handbook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.
It’s quickly approaching, that time of year when perspective study abroad students need to figure out which beautiful country they want to explore. With an array of amazing choices such as Australia, Spain, Italy, France and even South Africa, it is hard to choose just one place to call home for the next few months. Luckily however, I was able to talk to past study abroad students who gave me the inside scoop on different places across the map. Here is your guide to picking the place that is sure to give you the thrill of a lifetime.

Australia:

Although my track record of good decision-making is not perfect, I can honestly say going to Australia was by far the best decision of my life. It’s the perfect place for anyone to go who isn’t keen on learning a new language but still wants to experience an amazing culture. Aussies are the friendliest people I have ever interacted with and really live life by the motto “no worries”.

Europe is great for the beauty of architecture and history but going to Australia makes you appreciate nature. Whether it’s surfing, sand boarding, or just laying out by your campus pool or beach after class, you’ll be spending most of your time outdoors in the warm sun.

The best part is you’ll come home with heaps of new slang, friends you’ll never forget and the ability to out drink the biggest guy at any bar uptown. Australians are some of the biggest and best drinkers in the world and if you think UMass is crazy, just wait until your first night out Aussie style- you’ll never want to leave.

Jessica Milewski

Granada, Spain:

In Granada, Spain, I was culturally immersed in the true and vintage Spanish lifestyle. The city of Andalucia is rich with history. La Alhambra is centuries old and remains the city’s most proud and treasured landmark.

That being said, Granada has an incredible nightlife to suit the vivacity of the people living there. Their slow-paced life style is truly something to be admired. The Spaniard’s there are always socializing with friends and family – grabbing at some tapas (appetizers) and a pitcher of Sangria is the more than acceptable at any time of their day. Nearby, the Sierra Nevadas boarder the city so you can take a walk in the park and go skiing the same day! As you can see, Granada has a little something for everyone.

My home stay was centrally located, although you never have to walk too far in Granada, and every day on my way to school I’d walk the cobble stoned streets boarded with passionate mural graffiti from a local who goes by the name of La Pintura. When the scent of ripe oranges from the ever-present orange blossoms weren’t filling the air, freshly baked breads and irresistible pastries were. Granada is a hidden gem amongst Madrid, Rome, or Paris. It’s for this reason that Granada is as genuine as its people and the roots that run through it.

Rachael Nichols

Paris, France:
Basically my experience was beyond anything I could have expected.  I tried to go into it without any expectations because I was going alone and didn’t want to be disappointed by anything and not have anyone there to console me.  

I went through API and met a lot of great people on my program, a few who actually go to UMass (none of us knew each other before), so it’s great to see them now back on campus.  I honestly had the most incredible semester in Paris and surprised myself when I was not ready to go home. None of the stereotypes I had heard about the French turned out to be true; I did not have one interaction with a rude Frenchman.

In terms of classes, I took French language class and 2 electives taught in English.  One elective was on the European Union and the other was the History of Fashion in Paris.  The fashion class was really cool because he took us to different museums and exhibits each week so we saw actual artwork and/or clothing that we had discussed in lecture.  The classes were not too strenuous; I had French Monday-Thursday and the electives only met once a week, so I had plenty of time for exploring and enjoying Paris.

I would absolutely recommend studying abroad because it’s such a unique opportunity that comes at the perfect time in life – you’re young enough that you want to explore and try new things, but you’re old enough to be mature and confident in navigating a foreign city/country.  One of my favorite things about being in Europe in general was how easy it is to travel between countries.  Instead of going down the shore or upstate for a weekend, you go to Copenhagen or Barcelona, or meet up with friends in whichever city they decided to call home for the semester.

Anna Fertel

Cape Town, South Africa
Prior to arriving in Cape Town I had these visions of the city and what it was going to be like when I got there. The mental pictures in my mind were so off. There wasn’t one picture I took abroad that could capture the beauty of the city.

Going to Cape Town, South Africa for just about six months was the most extraordinary experience I have ever had. I took part in so many adventures that I will never forget: driving on the other side of the road, bungee jumping, safaris, petting lions, a world cup game, and so much more. These experiences will be ingrained in my head forever. I traveled to some other countries in Africa including, Botswana, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe. Each country I went to was so unique, but South Africa is by far the most amazing place I have ever been. I encountered a lot of racial segregation and stereotypes that I had never seen before. South Africa may not be the safest country but my experiences have made me value so much more in life.

South Africa is a country that combines third world settlements with first world hotels, shopping malls, and landscapes that are outstanding. Not coming from a bias at all, but Cape Town is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The city has too much to offer, if that is even possible. Cape Town is a metropolitan city that has everything you could possibly need. At the same time there are people living there in extreme poverty and it is extremely eye opening. The city is much less expensive than the states, the food is delicious, and the people are so unique. The beaches are also beautiful with light sand and crystal waters.

Amanda Zuckerman

Florance: Italy
Spending a semester abroad was one of the best decisions I’ve made in my life. Skeptical at first about being away from home and UMass so long, my parents basically had to shove me on the plane come September. However, as soon as I arrived at my apartment in Florence, Italy overlooking the Mercato Centrale and just a five minute walk from the Ponte Vecchio, I knew if anything it would be a scenic four months.

It sounds cliche, but I found out the hard way (20 pounds later) that Italy had the best food, wine, and coffee in the world. Partial to Busch Light and anything cheaper at UMass, indulging was just about my favorite past time. For budget prices, Gato e Volpe is a must (the best balsamic vinigarette I’ve ever tasted) and just over the bridge, Angiolino’s (the best pasta boglonese hands down). The bar/club scene has a pretty good variety whether you like sitting in a pub with a Peroni and some close friends (J.J. Cathedral), or if you want to fist pump like Pauly D and drink cocktails (21 or Twice). Don’t ever buy a V.I.P. booth because club promoters are everywhere and they flock to study abroad kids.

If your parents come visit, or you’re looking for a good day trip, wine tours throughout the Tuscan area are readily available through most hotels in the city (I would recommend Castello Trebbio through Hotel Baglioni). The museums and historical sights were literally amazing and the view of the entire city from the top of the Duomo and Piazza Michelangelo was nothing short of amazing.

To all the ladies who like shopping, the main street is a dream come true, lined with Gucci, Prada, Mui Mui, and little boutiques with leather and unique accessories- bargaining is another plus, never accept the first price given. I would definitely recommend the Emilio Pucci House (museum) and the Ferragamo Shoe Exhibit for all the fashionistas.

My study abroad program, API, offered two day excursions to various Italian cities such as Rome, Venice, Cinque Terre, Pisa, and Milan, complete with hotel accommodations, meals, and tours. However, for breaks and long weekends, it is so easy to travel through student geared groups, such as Bus2Alps, or book cheap, last minute flights and trains to anywhere in Europe (Ryanair). I had the opportunity to travel to seven different countries during my semester, experience so many different cultures, and festivals, and meet some good friends that I’m still in contact with a year later. If you have the chance to study abroad, I have nothing but good things to say about Florence, Italy. Despite the long time away from home and creepy Italian men, it is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity that I’m so thankful I experienced.

Gina Orlando

Domestic Exchange: South Carolina
In the fall of my sophomore year, I left UMass for one semester to study at the University of South Carolina through the domestic exchange program. That semester remains one of my best memories in college. The domestic exchange program, officially known as National Student Exchange, is not as well-known around campus as study abroad programs, but I would definitely say it is a hidden gem of the school.

Any student with above a 2.5 GPA can apply to study at another university in the country for one semester or one year. You generally either pay what you pay to attend UMass or the in-state rate of the school you are going to, which is usually a great deal. Although not every university participates in the program, there are options in almost every state. Some highlights include a bunch of Cal State campuses, multiple campuses of the University of Puerto Rico, University of Arizona, University of Georgia, University of the Virgin Islands, University of Hawaii, and of course the University of South Carolina.

I chose USC since it was in a different (read: warmer) part of the country. During the semester, I was pretty much a regular, full-time student just like everyone else. I took classes, lived on campus, ate at the dining halls, went to the gym (and swam in their gorgeous outdoor pool), and went to football games. I made great friends, I got to meet very different people than I would here at UMass, and I got to know a new city. I had a wonderful experience and highly recommend the program. For anyone who has ever wondered what it would be like to be a student somewhere else, perhaps in some exotic location or at a huge Southern football school, the domestic exchange program is definitely something to consider.

Ali Saminsky

So there you have it. Whether you want the very fashion forward Paris, France or the all you can eat pasta buffet of Florence, Italy, you are sure to have the experience of a lifetime. These girls got to spend a few months exploring new cultures and life styles, but now it is your turn. Visit the IPO office in South College to find out more information on how to embark on these amazing adventures.

Caroline Bagby is a senior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst majoring in Journalism and minoring in Spanish. She spent her summer interning at Kiss FM for Boston's #1 hit radio show and getting owned by the restaurant where she waited tables. She is now double interning for Her Campus and for ABC40 in Springfield, MA where she is working as a broadcast news intern. Caroline hopes to one day make a name for herself in the production industry. She enjoys spending the money she doesn't have, bubbletinis, watching movies, writing, and surrounding herself with friends and family.