My Campus Survival Guide: Getting that dream job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.
With graduation right around the corner, I can guarantee that everyone is thinking about what to do once you receive your diploma. Though many individuals know exactly what they want to do upon graduation, many more aren’t exactly sure. Whether you have made that choice or not, there are still steps to take before you actually land a job. For the most part, employment opportunities typically do not just fall into people’s laps. Getting your first “real” job requires a lot of hard work and time, and can often be a very stressful process.

Here are a few tips that will help you out along the way.

1. Before you even apply for a job, the first thing you need to do is plan ahead.

• First, think about what you are passionate about, what you like to do, and what you are good at.
  • Next, think about which positions you want to apply for, and organize all necessary materials for the application process.
  • Also think about who can help you in the job search. Whether it’s your parents, your friends, a mentor, or a counselor at career services, take advantage of those willing to help you.

2. Attitude Check.

• Go into the process with a positive attitude.
  • When applying for positions it is important to be confident, yet realistic with your expectations.
  • You should also go into the application process willing to do what others won’t do. Show potential employers examples of your creativity, prove to them that you are full of energy and willing to learn, and most importantly be likeable.

3. Submit a fabulous resume.
Before an employer even gets to see your face, they will learn about you on one single sheet of paper – your resume. This is your first impression and you want it to be a good one. Here are some things to consider when perfecting it.

• Stick with a chronological resume. This format is clear, concise, and easy for employers to read.
  • When it comes to inserting your work experience, activities, and honors, be sure to to think to yourself , “will this experience appeal to whoever is reading this?” If you don’t think it will, then don’t include it.
  • Don’t put EVERYTHING you have ever done on your resume. ( This includes babysitting in 2003, pet sitting, community car washes, etc…) If you are applying to a serious position, only include what is relevant to that position, and what will showcase your greatest assets.
  • Include both achievements and results of your work, not just your duties!
  • REMEMBER, you should have multiple copies of your resume tailored to each position you apply to.

Here are some resume turn-offs to keep in mind as well

• photographs
  • small print
  • too much/too little text
  • typos
  • poor grammar
  • poor layout/design

4. Creating momentum in your search.
After you apply to a position, there are several things that you should be doing.

• While you are waiting, put several lines in the water, aka, apply to other positions. The  more jobs you apply to, the higher the likelihood of hearing back from one.
  • Go to job fairs to learn about other industries, organizations, and experiences.
  • If you did well enough to earn an interview, take notes, ask questions, and consider that interview as practice for ones in the future.

5. NETWORK
One of the best things you can do before, during, and after the job-hunting process is network. The more people you know, the more opportunities will come your way. Think about it like this…chances are an individual got that awesome job at a major corporation because he or she knew someone before they applied. Building connections and relationships with folks is a great way to get your foot in the door for a future job. So with that being said, when you go to career fairs, meet someone you think could help you out down the road, or go to an interview, think of these things:

• Print your own little business card to set yourself apart from others
  • Get contact information from everyone you meet
  • Be humble and thankful to those you speak to

6. Interviews
Going into a job interview can be incredibly nerve-wracking and intimidating, so before you go keep these tips in mind.

• Do mock interviews before you go to your real one. This may seem a little on and slightly embarrassing but believe me, practice makes perfect. Think about questions you have answered in the past, and other ones that this employer might ask.
  • Show the individual(s) your true personality. If you are not yourself, chances are the person will catch on.
  • Remember that your verbal communication is not all the interviewer is looking at. Non-verbal communication is equally as important. If you can show that you are engaged and passionate about what you are speaking about, you will come across as a confident and genuine candidate.
  • Take time to answer questions. Though there is no need to respond to a question the second its asked, don’t take more than 20 or so seconds to answer it.
  • Focus on positive qualities, and be prepared to share your greatest accomplishments and success stories.
  • Come prepared with questions – here are a few to think about:
  1. What are you looking for in the ideal candidate?
  2. How does one succeed in this company?
  3. How do you measure ones success?
  4. What concerns, if any, do you have about me as a potential employee?
  5. Why is this position open?
  6. What is the next step from here?

It is also important to be aware of what you are being rated on in an interview.

• Mental alertness/responsiveness
  • Your energy level and enthusiasm
  • Professionalism and presence
  • Your thinking and problem solving abilities
  • Examples of creativity
  • Common sense and judgment

7. Things to consider if you get a job offer (because we all are thinking the same things)

• Be sure to think about all aspects of the job before you choose to accept/decline the offer.
  • Ask about your pay or salary. If you are not sure how much you should be earning in a certain position, check out websites like salary.com or payscale.com.
  • Ask about relocation assistance
  • Ask about a sign on bonus
  • Ask about benefits and perks

With these tips, I am confident that you all will get the job or internship of your dreams!

Caroline Bagby is a senior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst majoring in Journalism and minoring in Spanish. She spent her summer interning at Kiss FM for Boston's #1 hit radio show and getting owned by the restaurant where she waited tables. She is now double interning for Her Campus and for ABC40 in Springfield, MA where she is working as a broadcast news intern. Caroline hopes to one day make a name for herself in the production industry. She enjoys spending the money she doesn't have, bubbletinis, watching movies, writing, and surrounding herself with friends and family.