My Body, My Health: The perfect Valentine’s Day Treat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

We
all know very well the when V-day comes around there is one thing we’re entitled to get our hands on. Whether your special somebody gives you a box or a girl’s night in has you making some fondue…CHOCOLATE is the number one Valentine’s Day treat.

Luckily, in moderation of course, chocolate can be beneficial to the body because it contains flavonoids, which studies demonstrate to have powerful antioxidant effects. The flavonoid content of chocolate is highly variable because the more cocoa in a chocolate product, the higher the antioxidant flavonoid content is. So, while white chocolate has no antioxidants, dark chocolate is more concentrated in cocoa content and therefore is higher in flavonoids than milk chocolate.

Whether you’re looking to up the antioxidant power within your body, or to just enjoy a Valentine’s Day treat…Here are some easy recipes you can enjoy in the DC or in your room. Try making one yummy portion for yourself or a second for that special somebody and share the nutrient rich lovin’ with him (or her)!

HOT CHOCOLATE

• Swiss Miss now makes diet, no sugar added , and fat free packets for no more than 100 calories per serving. They are an easy to prepare and smart drink choice to enjoy during V-day festivities.
    • Heat  a mug in the microwave for about 2 minutes and 30 seconds with 1 cup of skim milk
    • Stir in 1 packet
    • *If you want, you can add a few mini marshmallows, 5 are only 10 calories!
  • Homemade hot chocolate:
    • Combine 1 cup of soy milk or skim milk
    • 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
    • 1 packet of sweet and low
    • Microwave for about 2 minutes and 30 seconds
    • Stir and/or add marshmallows
    • Cuddle up and sip away!

Banana and Chocolate

Combining the benefits of chocolate and bananas make for one rewarding treat! Bananas are a great source of potassium, fiber, and some studies have shown that they actually improve your mood because bananas contain a protein called tryptophan. This protein converts to serotonin ( the happy hormone) once digested into your body. So why not put a smile on your face during this Valentines Day? Who knows, maybe it will attract some potential sweet-hearts!

• In your dorm:
    • Mash up a small banana in a microwave safe bowl
    • Put 1 tablespoon of peanut butter on top
    • Add 2 dark chocolate squares or 2 tablespoons of dark chocolate chips on top
    • Microwave for about 1 minute
    • Mix and EAT IT UP!
  • For the frozen version…freeze that banana overnight and put already melted dark chocolate squares or dark chocolate chips on top for some V-Day decadence.

In the Dining Commons

Who says your Valentines Day dinner has to be at a pricey restaurant? Here at UMass our desserts can be just as delectable as those fancy schmancy places.

• Chocolate pudding
    • Put about ½ cup of the chocolate pudding in a small bowl
    • Add 2-4 tablespoons of vanilla or strawberry yogurt on top
    • Sprinkle about half a handful of dark chocolate chips or sliced almonds on top
    • Bon-a-petit!
  • Chocolate Ice cream: this is not exactly the healthiest choice for a dessert, but hey it’s a holiday… right? RIGHT.
    • Scoop or measure soft serve to  about ½ cup
    • Sprinkle some sliced almonds on top OR add some berries for a healthy twist on an indulgent treat!

So there are my tips! Remember: it’s okay to indulge every once in awhile, just don’t make it a habit and you’ll be in the clear!

HAVE A HAPPY, HEALTHY, AND FLAVONOID FILLED VALENTINE’S DAY!!!

Caroline Bagby is a senior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst majoring in Journalism and minoring in Spanish. She spent her summer interning at Kiss FM for Boston's #1 hit radio show and getting owned by the restaurant where she waited tables. She is now double interning for Her Campus and for ABC40 in Springfield, MA where she is working as a broadcast news intern. Caroline hopes to one day make a name for herself in the production industry. She enjoys spending the money she doesn't have, bubbletinis, watching movies, writing, and surrounding herself with friends and family.