palace theatre signage 3004075?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
palace theatre signage 3004075?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

Movies That Have Impacted Me the Most: My Top 5 Ranked Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

So many movies have impacted me. I will always remember the way I see these movies and the lessons they taught me, along with their powerful statements. After close deliberation of finding which movies, here are my top ranked movies.

little women?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Columbia Pictures / Sony
LITTLE WOMEN (2019)

A coming-of-age period drama film that follows the lives of the March sisters, Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy. Set in Concord, Massachusetts during the time of the nineteenth century. 

Viewers watch the lives of the March sisters, especially Jo, who is the second oldest and the most stubborn, and has a powerful imagination as she is a writer who illustrates her and her sisters lives. Through finding love and acceptance, heartbreaks, and healing, the March sisters have an incredible bond that I found moving. Jo, the main character, will do anything to keep her family afloat even if that means taking something she values and sacrificing it for her family. Little Women shows the inseparable bond of family and to always cherish those that matter to you the most. 

THE PURSUIT OF HAPPiNESS (2006)

A true story adaptation of Christopher Gardner, a salesman who finds himself homeless with his young son with no where to go.  

Watching the true story of Christopher and his son, with the struggles they faced that they turned into motivation to keep going instead of giving up, was impactful. Christopher lands a job with no pay, and rather than taking that as something negative, he turns it into something positive and a vision of what his future could look like. I found this to be inspiring. The Pursuit of Happyness shows that no matter how bad things get, always look for the good outcome in that situation

GOOD WILL HUNTING (1997) 

An American psychological drama film of a natural genius named Will Hunting, who works as a janitor at Harvard, that lands himself the attention of a professor who sees his potential and wants to help him. 

Watching the life of Will Hunting develop is a story that I won’t forget. From working as a janitor to solving problems that some of the world’s smartest people can’t, Will’s genius mind is supported through those who truly care for him, even if that means getting a therapist to help with his behavior. The relationship between Will and his therapist, Sean, is incredibly powerful as Sean constantly challenges Will because he knows Will’s potential in life. Good Will Hunting shows that the more you challenge yourself, the more potential you will see

INTERSTELLAR (2014) 

An epic science fiction film of a dystopian future, where astronauts travel through a wormhole near Saturn in hopes of a new home for mankind as humanity is failing.

Watching the life of a young family seeking a new home and a better future even, if that means giving up years of life to find it, was moving. Joesph Cooper, an ex-Nasa pilot, enrolls himself into a secret mission to find new life, but by doing so he risks the lifetime with his daughter, Murph, who is everything to him. The sacrifice of finding a better life for those you love sets the movie in every aspect. Interstellar displays that family means everything, even if that means taking the risk to find a better life for them. 

THE PRINCESS DIARIES (2001)

An American coming-of-age comedy film of a young girl name Mia Thermopolis, whose life takes a full 180 within a span of a few weeks as she becomes a princess of a country she didn’t know she was related to. 

Watching the life of a young, quirky teenage girl who enhances her beauty but keeps her nerdy aspect of herself despite the drastic changes is powerful, especially to younger female audiences. Mia is empowered, finding the self confidence that she had all along with the help of her grandmother, the Queen of Genovia. Though she fights through the challenges of becoming a newfound princess, she also embodies the same Mia she was before. The Princess Diaries shows that even when life drastically changes, accepting yourself and the changes around you shouldn’t be a shameful thing. 

Now that you know my top ranked movies that inspired me the most, I highly suggest a movie night for these movies!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Hannah Corcoran

U Mass Amherst '23

Hannah is a senior at UMass Amherst, she is studying English with minors in both Psychology and Education. She enjoys reading and writing on her spare time.