Moments on “Game of Thrones” That Altered My Brain Chemistry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Game of Thrones might have ended a little less than four years ago, but as someone who finished the entire series just this past year, it is still fresh on my mind — and saying that the show had its moments is an understatement. Despite the underwhelming end to the series, I cannot discredit the epic production this show takes us through. Although there have been some iconic moments from the start of the show, I have a list of scenes and instances on Game of Thrones that will always make me want to go back and rewatch it. As always, major spoilers ahead.

1. Cersei burning down the Sept of baleor

Starting from the episode, I will always consider the best one in the Game of Thrones, we see, arguably, one of the best revenge plots in the show. Cersei getting revenge against the Tyrells and the High Sparrow. After being imprisoned and humiliated by the High Sparrow, Cersei, with the help of her minion, Qyburn orchestrates the most epic takedowns in the show. This sequence is set up from the start of Season Six, Episode Ten: “The Winds of Winter.” We see everyone getting ready for the trial at the Sept of Baleor that determines the punishment and the fate of Loras Tyrell and Cersei Lannister, with an amazing piano score playing out in the background. Cersei manages to gather all her enemies in the Sept of Baleor and essentially blows it up using wildfire. Although following this, she does lose her only child alive; she does ascend to the Iron Throne.

2. ARYA KILLING THE FREYS

In the first episode of season seven, we see Walder Frey hosting a dinner for his family, just after the season six finale shows Arya killing Walder Frey as a faceless man. We then see the rest of House Frey dying after consuming poisoned wine, and soon realize that Arya reveals herself using one of her faceless man tricks after posing as Walder Frey to take down House Frey as her revenge for the Red Wedding. This scene was an excellent start to the season and also marked the start of House Stark regaining its strength.

3. VISERION BECOMING A WHITE WALKER

During season seven, we see Jon rallying up a group to go beyond the wall to capture a wight to show Cersei the real threat of the white walkers. As they are about to lose against the dead, Daenerys and her dragons show up at the rescue. During this rescue mission, the Night King takes this chance to kill one of her dragons, Viserion; we see Viserion falling into the water. In the last scene of the episode, we see the white walkers and wights pull the dead dragon up from the water with chains, and the last thing we see is a massive close-up of Viserion opening up his new blue eyes, signaling Daenerys and the Living losing one of their biggest assets to the dead.

These are some of the few moments that make Game of Thrones one of my favorite shows, even to go back and rewatch, and despite its controversial ending, these are some of the moments that still make me admire just how iconic it was.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Akshatha Chelluri

U Mass Amherst '26

Akshatha is a freshman at Umass Amherst majoring in Economics. In her free time, she loves to pick up a new book to read, experiment with new bakes, listen to music, and explore different cafes and restaurants.