Mixtape of My Memory: Three Song Lyrics that Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I like to consider myself an avid music listener, something that is visible in my 225 Spotify playlists. I listen to music constantly, curating this soundtrack for my life. As a songwriter myself, there is nothing I appreciate more than well-written lyrics. Good music can stand as poetry on its own, and there are a few songs that I will never get sick of listening to for this very reason. Here are three of my favorite song lyrics that really shaped moments in my life, and how I think and view the world.

“Nature is a language, can’t you read?” – “Ask” by The Smiths

Morrissey, although a controversial figure, writes some of the most beautifully poetic lyrics I have come across. This song was released during the Cold War and focuses on the importance of living life to the fullest while one can. This theme is timeless, as it is never too late to do the things you desire. This line specifically refers to human nature and physical nature. The threat of bombings causes Morrissey to confess his love, considering the impermanence of life. This is human nature, that when confronted with death, people crave love. Connections with others remain eternal after death. People live on and share their memories. I think this line also references the darker side of human nature, the side craving violence and ruin. This piece of human nature creates the issue of war at hand and therefore is just as important to acknowledge. This line also references that physical nature is at risk. People mindful of life’s fleetingness are more likely to appreciate the physical beauty of the world around them while it still stands. This breaks the human cycle of taking nature for granted. The second half of this line criticizes this usual passivity towards the beauty of physical nature and those who are ignorant of the complexities of human nature, calling them “illiterate.” I listen to this song to remind myself to remain present and grateful for the time I have because the future is not guaranteed.

“Just give me an easy life and a peaceful death” – “Goodbye” by the Sundays

The Sundays are a consistent favorite of mine, Harriet Wheeler’s haunting voice paired with her thoughtful lyrics and the ambiance of the band is true art. I see this song as a criticism of organized religion when corrupted by human nature. Throughout the song, Wheeler says goodbye to religion and the constraints it places on her, as she finds happiness in living life for her own ideals and thoughts on spirituality. This line is the last thing she sings, speaking of her desire for an “easy life” and “peaceful death.” This desire is something that I, too, have felt. As a spiritual person following Christianity, I found myself struggling with my religion. There are many traditional Catholic doctrines I disagree with and teachings I cannot support. As Wheeler describes, religion should not be something that is constraining people but helping individuals find peace and support amongst each other. This human desire for an easy life and peaceful death is universal, and religion should supplement this, not take away through added stress, guilt, and strain. This song is one that helped me determine my own religious path and connection with my individual spirituality paired with Christianity.

“I hold on to your worlds like candlelight, you hold onto mine like pantomime” – “Orange Peeler” by Horse Jumper of Love

This song is a raw depiction of unrequited love or a toxic relationship, something I have experienced and I am sure many other listeners connect with as well. Holding onto someone’s words like candlelight is such a loving, intimate picture. The words of someone you love really can act as a candle, something to hold onto in the darkness that surrounds you. However, if this is reciprocated with this image of “pantomime,” then it certainly is not an even exchange. Pantomime is a dramatic and exaggerated reenactment, meaning that the speaker’s love interest is either mocking him or not taking his words seriously. Feeling heard is a necessity in any strong relationship, and without this, one person is always left wanting more. Following this line the instrumental slowly intensifies in dynamics and instrumental layers, furthering this intense yearning and distress. One can only give love without receiving it for so long.

These lyrics are personal to me in the way that I feel seen without ever speaking with any of these songwriters. Good music should have this effect! Try listening to one of your favorite songs solely for the purpose of hearing the lyrics, maybe you’ll notice something new and enjoy music with a different depth than you were able to before.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Victoria Williams

U Mass Amherst '26

Victoria Williams is a freshman at UMass Amherst, majoring in Sustainable Community Development. In her free time, you can find Victoria hiking with the Outdoors Club, thrifting, or practicing guitar.