This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.
Meet Kristen Mouris: the former Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UMass and a recent grad. We quizzed her on helpful tips for Collegiettes and post-graduate life. Luckily, she ensured us that life does go on (and everything will be fine) after UMass. Both things we definitely needed to hear as May 6 approaches!

HC: Can you tell us a bit about what you’re doing in the big bad adult world?

KM: I currently work in the Development Department of a local museum. I handle donations, memberships, reports, mailings, and grant research and writing. I also help with fundraising and programming events. It’s a wonderful place to work and it’s really made me reconsider what I want to do. Even up through graduation I always planned to work in editing and publishing, but now that I’m working at a museum I love it!

HC: What’s one thing you wish you had known in college?

KM: I wish I’d known that it’s okay to transfer. I transferred to UMass for my junior year and I’m so glad I did, but when I was first applying to colleges I thought transferring was the worst thing ever. It seemed so stressful and almost like wasting years, but in actuality it’s just blending two unique experiences. The worst-case scenario is that you’re a junior sitting in a gen ed lecture that you otherwise would have taken as a freshman. 

HC: What do you miss most about UMass?

KM: I miss the spontaneity of campus life. With all of your friends close by, it’s incredibly easy to just text someone and meet them for dinner five minutes later. Sometimes we’d just pop into the Craft Center because we felt like making bracelets or we’d hear about an event on campus last minute and go. It’s a really unique part of college life just being able to access everyone and everything so easily.

HC: Have you been able to apply any of the skills you learned in Her Campus to postgraduate life?

KM: Yes! I read, edit, and write daily. It’s incredibly important when you’re asking for donations, writing grants, thanking sponsors, or creating content for mailings that your information is clear, concise, and accurate. I also help with event planning and special programs, so being able to brainstorm and problem solve is crucial as well. Her Campus was a really great way for me to hone all of those skills and it also helped boost my resume. 

HC: Any advice for seniors as they head into their last semester?

KM: Know that no first job is perfect, but there is a difference between a less than ideal job and a job that you know you’ll be miserable at. When you’re browsing job listings day after day it can be tempting to apply for anything that you’re qualified for, but if you’ve always hated customer service chances are you’ll still hate it even if it’s a job with a salary and benefits. Also along the same lines, it’s totally okay to return to your summer job after you graduate. 

HC: If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? 

KM: Close to family and friends. I’d like to travel and even having a vacation home somewhere warm would be awesome, but for everyday living I couldn’t imagine being far away from my friends and family. The idea of having to book a flight in order to visit just doesn’t appeal to me. I’m probably going to be a New Englander for life and that’s okay with me because I love it here.

All photos courtesy of Kristen Mouris
Catie Baumgartner

U Mass Amherst

Linguist, sports enthusiast & all-around adventurer with a severe case of wanderlust.