This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I know what you may be thinking…making your bed won’t change your life. Well, I’m here to tell you differently. Making your bed can change your life. It can open up the doors that have the ability to change your life. It may seem like a small and insignificant task, but in reality, it can have a powerful impact on our lives. By starting your day with the simple act of making your bed, you can set the tone for a productive and fulfilling day again and again. This is because making your bed is often cited as a classic example of a keystone habit.

Keystone habits are powerful everyday habits that have the ability to transform our lives in profound and positive ways. These habits act as the foundation upon which we build our daily routines, and they have the potential to create a ripple effect that impacts every aspect of our lives. When we establish keystone habits, we create a domino effect of positive change. For example, developing a habit of making your bed every morning can lead to a more organized mindset, which can increase productivity, which can create new opportunities both professionally and personally. 

Deciding to make the conscious decision to start the day by making our bed every morning, we establish a pattern of consistency and reliability in our lives. This can lead to increased self-confidence and control over our environment. Furthermore, making our bed can remind us to take care of ourselves and our surroundings, which can lead to better habits and routines overall. You can take control of your space and start the day on an easy, yet profound win.

The beauty of this is that it doesn’t require a massive life change. Instead, it’s a small, consistent action that can be taken every day, which gradually compounds and create meaningful results. By focusing on making your bed, or other keystone habits like that, a strong foundation for success, happiness, and personal growth can be built and have the ability to prosper.

So, whether it’s starting your day making your bed, or another deliberate change you will dedicate yourself to completing every day, know that the keystone habits you cultivate will have a profound impact on your life in ways you may not even anticipate. Stay committed, stay consistent, and watch as the positive changes unfold. Remember, small habits lead to big results. After all, any journey to greatness starts with a single step.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Olivia Martinez-Reynolds

U Mass Amherst '24

Olivia is a 3rd-year Legal Studies Student at UMass Amherst.