Madeleine Kunin: First Female Governor of Vermont & UMass grad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.
Madeleine Kunin, former Vermont governor, Deputy Secretary for the U.S. Department of Education, U.S. ambassador to Switzerland under President Bill Clinton, and UMass Amherst class of 1956 alumna, provided political commentary endorsing President Barack Obama’s State of the Union address.  Kunin also shared what inspired her to run for governor and her achievements during that time, the role she played in selecting Al Gore as Vice President of the United States under President Bill Clinton, and her fondest campus memories.  She has written three books and is currently working on her fourth.

What was your reaction to President Barack Obama’s State of the Union address last night?
I applaud his address.  I realize that achieving the goals he laid out will be difficult with a Republican House, and the Republicans are already mocking the idea of investments.  I think investments are an excuse for spending, but I think investments are what we need.  Obama also emphasized education.  Without a well-educated, skilled work force, there’s no way the U.S. can be competitive in a global economy.  I think it was an uplifting speech.  He worked very hard to try to bridge the gap between the political parties and emphasize the need to work together, whether that will resonate is a different question, but now major initiatives need bipartisan support.  As we see with the health care law, even though I agree with it, it is much harder to enact a new law without increasing bipartisan support.  I think in a way it was a jump off point from the speech in Tucson, which is what the country is yearning for, more collegiality and more cooperation.

Did his address touch upon all you expected?
Yes and no.  I expected something uplifting.  People were always asking the specifics, but I don’t think this is a speech where you mention the specifics. He set a tone for the country, and I think that’s what’s most needed now.  The public is not as partisan as the Congress.  They just want to see the results.  I think he did set a tone.  Clearly there are some tough decisions ahead that were not specified, like what to do with entitlements.  I think it’s going to be a question of who goes first–the Republicans or the Democrats. None of us want us to see it happen.  I’m glad he mentioned that the tax cut, that he agreed on, should not be permanent, especially the tax for the wealthiest sector.  He recognizes that at some point we have to come to grips with the change in the tax system, such a knee jerk reaction with Republicans, no taxes no matter what.

What do you think the nation’s reaction was to the State of the Union Address?
I think the fact that it was not a partisan speech…the members of the Congress now had “date night” as they mingled across the aisle.  I think the American people liked that part of it very much.  Everyone speaks for the American people and says we have to listen to the American people, but it depends what ear you’re listening to.  The infrastructure, the investments Obama requested last night, I see as more to the point of what the American people need.  If we build high-speed rail, bridges and roads, invest in science and technology, it does lead to jobs, not over night, but does strengthen the foundations of our economy.

Why did you want to run for Governor of Vermont (1985-1991)?
Well I had started out as Vermont state legislator (1972-1978).  I served 3 terms in the legislature, then Lieutenant Governor for 2 terms (1978-1982).  I felt capable of doing the job.  I also felt it was time for a woman. My book, Living a Political Life, traces my journey of becoming governor and a more recent, Pearls, Politics, and Power: How Women can Win and Lead discusses how women can win and lead.  Vermont is a state where politics are more straightforward. I have a great concern for environment and education and believed I could make a difference.

Was there a specific instance that inspired you to run for high office?
When I was a legislator the governor got upset with me that we had changed his budget.  So, he held a press conference me and I held a press conference defending us.  I felt equal to the challenge.

How did your husband and family deal with the lifestyle that comes along with campaigning, like the invasion of privacy?
Fortunately, my children were older–three were in college and one in high school–and I think politics was a little less nasty than it is now.  At least in Vermont there wasn’t that invasion of privacy.  The hard part is how do you manage to take care of your family and have a job that is very demanding, but I gradually stepped into that because in Vermont, being a legislator is a part-time job, being a lieutenant governor is a part-time job.  I couldn’t have been governor when my children were young.

I read about all of your accomplishments as governor such as doubling the funding for public education and establishing early childhood education programs for low-income children.  What accomplishments are you most proud of and can you elaborate on them?
I established a health insurance program for children called Doctor Dinosaur.  That has had long-term health care.  I think when you invest in children you get long-term positive results.  The Housing and Conservation Trust Fund provided funding for affordable housing and at the same time for preserving farmland and open spaces.

I read you were on the three-person panel that chose Al Gore to be Bill Clinton’s Vice President. What was that like? Who else was on the board? How did you choose Al Gore?
It was fascinating.  We really did sort of what you would call an executive search on who would be qualified and who would be interested.  We reached consensus on recommending Al Gore, which is not what we thought of at the start.  The vice president should balance the president, come from a different part of the country, bring different skills, but they’re both southerners and in some ways they were similar.  They were young at the time, enthusiastic, but Al Gore did have more hard policy experience so that in the way was a balance.  They did get along.  There has to be a certain chemistry.  I was asked by President Clinton, and did it with two others–Vernon Jordan and Warren Christopher.

How did you get appointed as Deputy Secretary for the U.S. Department of Education (January 1993-August 1996)?
I worked in the Clinton campaign.  I had been part of the transition team for the Clinton administration, and had gotten to know him since we were contemporaries as governors.

How did you get appointed as the U.S. ambassador to Switzerland under President Bill Clinton (August 1996-1999)?
It was an interesting time in Switzerland because there was a large debate about Switzerland’s roles in World War II and bank accounts opened by Jews, and were never returned to the people who had them because they were either killed in the Holocaust or the Swiss bank never made efforts to find their heirs.  The larger issue is what does it mean to be a neutral country in the middle of the world war.

What is your role at the University of Vermont?
The main course I’ve taught is “Women in Politics and Leadership”.  Right now, I am a professor at large.  I give lectures in various courses and I sponsor events by bringing a speaker like Gail Collins from The New York Times.  I’m organizing a workshop for women interested in running for office and I am also working on a book.

If you were born in the United States would you have been interested in running for President?
No.  I hope to see a woman president, but not just any woman of course.  I worked for Hillary Clinton, and then I supported Barack Obama after she lost, but I had hoped to see her as president first.

What years did you attend UMass Amherst? What was your major? Were you in any clubs on campus?
I was there from 1952 to 1956.  I was a history major with a minor in English.  I was the first person in my family to graduate from college.  It was a much smaller institution then, with about 5,000 to 6,000 students.  I felt I got an excellent education. It opened up so many new avenues for me.  Because it was small, you could get to know some of the faculty quite well.  I was the editorial page editor of The Collegian.  Then I went on to the Columbia School of Journalism.

What dorms did you live in?
I lived in Thatcher dorm, Abbey named after Abigail Adams.  I think it was burnt down.  The Five-College system was just beginning to be discussed.  My senior year I took two classes taught by Amherst professors at UMass.  One was some kind of political theory course.

When were you last at UMass?
Maybe about eight years ago I was in Amherst.  I actually spoke at a bookstore in Amherst and I spoke at Smith about my book, Pearls, Politics, and Power: How Women can Win and Lead.

What did you do on the weekends as a student?
We would go into Amherst and there was sometimes this place we went for breakfast.  We didn’t go to bars like people do now.  People went mostly to a fraternity house.  There was this place that had great brownies with chocolate sauce, but I don’t remember the name.  Sometimes we went to the Amherst library to study.  I heard Robert Frost read at Amherst College twice.

What is your fondest UMass memory or favorite aspect about your time here?
The ‘50s were a quiet time.  In the ‘50s people weren’t terribly political.  They had something called “Woman of the Year” and I was “Woman of the Year”.  Some of the best experiences were getting to know the faculty.  They had a poetry society at the time and Robert Frost came, and I remember sitting at his feet and having a conversation with him.  That kind of proximity to people who were important and who affected the rest of the world were memorable.  My intellect and passion for public service were awakened at UMass.

Do you feel UMass helped you prepare for your profession?
Yes, indirectly.  I took one political science course.  It’s not what you remember so much, it’s how you think and how you learn to seek out answers.  This was before Google!

What advice do you have for females or anyone who would like a career in politics, whether on the state or federal level?
Go for it!  Some people are afraid of public speaking.  Go for things you thought you couldn’t do, and you’ll master it by practice.  Inform yourself of what’s going on with your community, and network!  Politics is one big networking exercise.  Believe in your passions.  Someone might say that will never happen.  Don’t listen to those people.  I strongly believe we need more women in public life at every level.  The U.S. is way behind other countries.  We rank 72nd in the world in the percentage of women in Congress.  I think women do make a difference.  Women are more inclined to support health care or things that support children.  Volunteer at a non-governmental organization (NGO) or volunteer at a campaign.

Kunin’s books can be purchased on Amazon.com, and a fourth book is in the works.  You can also find her guest lecturing as a UVM professor at large.
Caroline Bagby is a senior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst majoring in Journalism and minoring in Spanish. She spent her summer interning at Kiss FM for Boston's #1 hit radio show and getting owned by the restaurant where she waited tables. She is now double interning for Her Campus and for ABC40 in Springfield, MA where she is working as a broadcast news intern. Caroline hopes to one day make a name for herself in the production industry. She enjoys spending the money she doesn't have, bubbletinis, watching movies, writing, and surrounding herself with friends and family.