This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Although Selena Gomez has had a large impact on the pop industry throughout her career, it’s been almost four years since the artist released her last album, Revival, in 2015. Recently however, Gomez has revealed that she has new music in the works – by dropping two new singles, the ballad, Lose You to Love Me, and Look At Her Now, a more upbeat tune.

For the past few years, Selena Gomez has taken several breaks from the public eye to focus on treating her lupus diagnosis and her mental health. Gomez opened up about her diagnosis in 2015, and explains how she had been seeking treatment for the past year. The following year, her recovery took a toll on her and she cancelled the end of her Revival World Tour to take care of her physical and mental health. After taking some time for herself, she said during a speech while receiving an award from Massachusetts’ McLean Hospital that “after a year of a lot of intense work, I am happier, I am healthier, and I am in control of my emotions and thoughts more than I’ve ever been”.

Selena Gomez released her comeback single, Lose You to Love Me – with a self-love message about healing and rediscovery – making her first single in about two years. Many fans have speculated that this release is the aftermath of her long time on-again-off-again relationship with Justin Bieber. Although many people (myself included) were invested in the back and forth of this relationship, this song wasn’t intended to add fuel to that fire, but more as a way for Gomez to heal and share her experiences through the struggles she’s been facing. Gomez described: “I thought it was important to share the music, as I know many can relate to the fact that the road to self-discovery generally comes through the scars in one’s life. I want people to feel hope and to know you will come out the other side stronger and a better version of yourself” about the song. 

“My first number 1!! This song is so dear to my heart. I’ve been working so hard to make this album as honest and fun as possible while remaining vulnerable enough to share where I am in life” – Selena Gomez

Less than 24 hours after this release, Gomez surprised her fans and dropped another new hit, Look At Her Now. This song continues the self discovery journey that’s told in Lose You to Love Me – Lose You to Love Me being about discovering your self worth and power, and Look At Her Now being about using that power to rise up and truly own who you are. The messages of these two songs go hand and hand, and together took the world by storm. In fact, Lose You to Love Me is Gomez’s first number 1 on the Billboard Top 100 Charts, racking up 38.8 million US streams in the week of its release. Following the excitement of her new singles, Selena Gomez is performing at the 2019 American Music Awards in the coming weeks, making her first live television performance in two years, and the television premiere of her new music. With all of this and her upcoming album in store, I know I’ll be impatiently waiting for all of her new projects to come. For now, I’ll just be listening to these tracks on repeat… check out both videos here and here!

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Samira Sayan

U Mass Amherst '23

Samira is the Pinterest Coordinator and a senior honors student at UMass Amherst, majoring in marketing and communications. Some of her passions are pop culture, music, and traveling. When she's not writing, you can find her hanging out with friends, binging her favorite TV series, or teaching/taking a spin class.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst