This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

We all have probably been watching classic TV shows during this time. Whether it is to pass time, be deeply invested, or just find a sliver of enjoyment for 20 to 40 minutes, these shows provide that. I have always been a lover of a variety of TV shows, but I never truly tried to recognize the life lessons hidden in the shows until now!

The Office

I have been watching The Office ever since I can remember. My parents were fans, so my sisters and I would watch along with them. I quickly fell in love with the comedy of the show and could not get myself to stop laughing. I knew immediately that this would be a show I would binge over and over again throughout the years. And wow, was I right. I loved every character, but the story between Jim and Pam was the underlying highlight of the show. The life lesson hidden in The Office is that if it is meant to be, it will be. Jim was madly in love with Pam throughout their friendship. Despite a multitude of different relationships, the universe kicked in and what was always meant to happen, happened. 

NBCUniversal & Canva

New Girl

Now don’t even get me started with New Girl. It is easily one of the funniest shows of all time with the most amazing characters. I highly recommend this show for anyone that wants to die of laughter with a strong appreciation for real, unwavering friendships. I believe that the most important life lesson hidden within this show is that no matter the circumstance, always be yourself and surround yourself with people who appreciate all the quirks about you. I feel that everyone growing up has this notion of who they should be in order to fit society’s standards of “cool.” New Girl shows that the very opposite of this is needed to find true happiness and real, genuine relationships. Jess is the QUEEN of being “weird,” and because of this, she found a group of friends that fit right in. All of their friendships are something I strive for, and I think everyone else should also. 

New Girl Nick Miller TV GIF
Giphy / Fox

One Tree Hill

We’d all be lying if we didn’t say we all fell in love with the Nathan and Lucas rivalry, the independence and inspiration of Brooke Davis, and the MANY relationships that unfolded throughout the entirety of Tree Hill. This show is riddled with multiple life lessons, but the one that stood out most to me is that people can change. No matter who you are, what your story is, or what you have done; if you want to be a different or better person, you have the capability to. Every character has a considerable amount of character development, but the main example of change in this show is Nathan Scott. A typical, selfish jock who only cared about himself realized the importance of other things in life, including being a better person and someone capable of love and loving. 

Warner Bros. Television

Next time you watch one of these shows, or any of your favorite shows for that matter, take a minute to consider a deeper life lesson hidden and a deeper meaning of why this show brings you so much happiness. I promise you will be surprised! 

Katie Hagearty

U Mass Amherst '22

Katie Hagearty is a senior at UMass Amherst with a major in communication disorders and minors in education and psychology. She hopes to become a speech pathologist one day and work with children. Katie has a passion and love for fashion, beauty, current events, and writing. She is eager to be involved in the Her Campus chapter at Umass as an outlet to write and reach others with her words and creativity.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst