This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

To my girls:

I heard about people losing touch with their friends when they leave for college. I knew that wouldn’t be me. I had it made in high school and I had the three best friends a girl could ask for.

Wow, we had some good times. I think about it a lot and it seems like all of my memories involve the three of you. Of course we referred to ourselves as the Fab Four because, well, we were high school divas. I remember thinking I was the luckiest girl in the world. I knew your families well enough to call them my own. Not once did I spend an entire weekend without staying at one of your houses. I knew your secrets and you knew mine. We would talk about college and our futures and how we’d always be friends. I think about how I used to always get stuck sleeping in the middle of the bed, even though I was always the first to wake up. I think about our text messages and phone calls and how we used to talk like we were the center of the universe.  I think about the crazy parties in my basement, the crazy boys we dated, and the crazy kids we used to be.

Em, I think about that double date you brought me on freshman year when we were fighting with our boyfriends. You got dreamy Blake and I got… an eighth grader. He put me in a chokehold before the movie even started. And Elle, our short yet hilarious stage when we thought splitting a pack of Marlboro Lights was cool (still can’t believe that). And Kayce, the countless times we found ourselves in ridiculous and unbelievable situations. And what about that one party in Westboro….

It all changed so quickly and if you were to ask me exactly what happened I wouldn’t know what to say. It was a combination of a lot of things: stubbornness and a lack of communication for the most part. The end of senior year was a difficult time for me. I was feeling things I had never felt before and I didn’t know how to react. I felt really lost and perhaps I took it out on you guys. I can’t know for sure, all I do know is that I lost my friends that summer. I look through old pictures and it’s bittersweet. I miss the connection we used to have, when I knew everything about your lives. Now, all I’m left with is empty “Happy Birthday” wishes and less-than-promising plans that we know will never follow through.

Luckily, I’ve learned a lot from our friendship’s highs and lows. I took that with me and I know it has made me a better person and friend. I have been blessed with the most amazing girlfriends at UMass and they remind me a lot of how I used to be with you all.

I want you all to know how happy I am to see you three doing well. I check up on you often (the wonders of social media) and I miss you constantly. I was angry for a while because I just didn’t understand what happened. Since then, I’ve accepted the situation and when I think of the three of you I think of the good memories – never the bad.

I’ll always love you guys and of course, I’m always here if you need me.

Love,

Your Best Friend From High School

Molly Shriver

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst