A Letter to the Class of 2018 Collegiettes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Hello to the new Collegiettes!

Let me be the first to welcome you to the greatest place on earth, UMass Amherst!

How does it feel to finally be on your own for the first time?

Personally, I radiated nothing but pure joy when I stepped on campus a year ago, but that’s often not the case. I know that being away from home is both liberating and terrifying, but a year from now when all of those feelings have long subsided, you will understand and appreciate all of the great things that UMass has to offer.

The concept of having a stranger be forced to live with you as if they are your sibling is wild. This person is now familiar with all of your habits, good and bad, and maybe knows more intimate things about you than some of your best friends. Whether you and your roommate are an ideal match or can barely speak without wanting to kill each other, it’s good to maintain a positive relationship. A bad living environment can definitely take a toll on your academic performance. Keep your relationship on good terms, and don’t forget to communicate!

I know that the size of UMass can be intimidating, but in the same sense this school is only as big as you make it. In your 300 person lecture, sit in a place that is close enough to the professor that you are comfortable. I’m not saying that you should sit in the front row, but sitting in the dark back corner of a class can easily lead you to a wonderful 50 minute nap, three times a week. You will definitely regret that when exams come around.

With that being said, a sense of standard class attire is totally overrated if you ask me. In a school of 29,000 students you find nothing but diversity, so be who you are and wear what you want. If you are feeling wonderful and want to wear those cute heeled boots to your 11:30 class, go for it! And if you want to roll out of bed in the clothes you slept in, I totally can relate. Dress to your mood, and rock that gray sweat suit or summer dress!

The social life here is nothing short of amazing! This will be the only time in your life where you are living in a (relatively) free world, full of people that are close in age to you with common interests. Take advantage of this situation; this is the time when you’ll build relationships that will last a lifetime. If that isn’t the case for you right now, put yourself out there and get involved in clubs! Everyone is in the same boat and you shouldn’t feel alone. Take initiative and be the first one to say “hi” to your neighbor, or spark up a conversation with someone in the hall. At the end of the day, friendships take time, but there is no peace of mind like knowing that you have people you can truly rely on when you’re away from home.

As a freshman, the culture shock can be overwhelming, and before you know it you are headed home for Thanksgiving. The most important piece of advice that I would want to spread is to not waste a single moment on campus! Freshman year goes by incredibly fast, and as it seems, the next three years don’t go by any slower.

Welcome, Class of 2018!

I hope UMass treats you as well as it has treated me.

HCXO 

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst