Kicking the Cancer Sticks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

There’s one question that I think everyone has to ask themselves at least once. If you could go back and change a decision, or a comment, or a reaction, would you? I for one would go back to the night I decided it would be cute to try a cigarette at a party.
I went by the try everything once idea, however this sampling of nicotine turned into a three year relationship. Now, our love affair has reached its close and I thought our breakup might be important to share with those of you who are trying to kick the habit.

Now, I didn’t want to write this article until I passed the 3-day mark. They say after the third day you’re home free, so I’m in this for the long haul. Below, I’m going to give you a few tips for quitting along with the awesome benefits of finally kicking the habit.  

Quitting smoking is not fun, but there are a couple of things that make it awesome within the first hour you put down the butts.

• Within 20 minutes your blood pressure and heart rate and body temperature return to normal.

• Within 12 hours the carbon monoxide levels in your soon to be healed bod will have dropped to normal.

• Within three days your body will be completely nicotine free!  

Unfortunately, this means your cravings will be at an all time high because your body is used to nicotine in its system. The best thing to do the first couple of days is to change your habits. If you smoke in the car, take the bus or get a ride with a friend whose car is a non-smoking zone. If you smoke in between classes, try to bring a book or something to keep you busy. The point is to be resourceful and find ways to change up your routine.  

Now, moving onto the oral fixation. I know it sounds dirty, but the hand to mouth habit is stuck with you and it’s going to take work to break it. Something I’ve been doing is popping in a blow pop any time a craving hits. You focus on the taste of the candy rather than the craving.  

In these first three days I’ve found myself feeling full of energy and anxiety. I NEVER work out, but doing so has been an amazing stress relief. Your lungs are likely a little beaten up so don’t push yourself too hard, but exercising takes that anxiety and turns it into something positive and productive! 

Another perk? It’s been three days and my skin is brightening up. It’s naturally glowing again, and my dark circles have diminished. This is because of improved circulation in the skin when you stop smoking. I know that sometimes I look at an older woman, and I can just tell that she’s been smoking since she was my age. I don’t want to look 10-15 years older and I certainly don’t want my voice to sound like the victim of a tracheotomy.

These are just a few of the many benefits of quitting, but I encourage you to do some research into the other amazing things that happen when you quit. Despite the difficulty, you will instantly feel better, and you will be so proud of yourself!

Here’s to your health and breaking the habit!